We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

50,000 consumers switch suppliers after energy price rise

oresome

Likes # 0

This is the figure claimed by one of the comparison sites since SSE raised prices by 8.2% last week.

On the face of it this is competition at work and will ensure an efficient market and the lowest prices for the consumer.

On the other hand, think of the administrative effort and cost involved in transfering those customers and the commission earned by the comparison sites. Consumers are being constantly churned between the various energy companies for short term gains at an enormous cost that is ultimately borne by the consumer.

I say short term because the other suppliers will follow with price rises as sure as eggs are eggs and the only long term winners will be the comparison sites through commission and the suppliers through higher prices.

I wonder how much all the churning adds to the typical bill?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What's the point in changing, because no sooner does one energy supplier change their rates and terms, the others follow. Yet there is constant talk about competition and fair trading.

It might be interesting to watch the BBC Watchdog programme on BBC 1 this Wednesday at 8pm. Watchdog sent out invitations to all the major energy supplier's, asking if their CEO's would like to attend so as to give their company's views. Apparently two CEO's have accepted, and will be interviewed this Wednesday?.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I switched to a fixed price contract in anticipation of the Autumn price rises, just a week before SSE announced their rise. I'm with E.On, no doubt they will soon catch-up.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I've researched a new fixed price contract with EDF, my present supplier.

The unit prices are up to 38% higher than with the present tariff, but fixed till 2017.

It's anyone's guess whether this would be turn out to be cost effective or not but I won't be taking it on.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"On the face of it this is competition at work and will ensure an efficient market and the lowest prices for the consumer."

There can never be true competition when there is a cartel of six companies dominating the generation and distribution markets.

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

I understand George Osborne has promised investment from China for our power industry ........ but don't let's forget they will want a return plus on this investment .... who pays for that ? Joe Public

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

When you see a joke paper showing a large Russian figure, who looks warm and content, turning the handle on a stopcock on a pipeline leading to the UK. And seeing pictures of the UK go into darkness, you might begin to think who as the real power and say on UK energy?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Though now corrected, it is worth remembering that that animation (part of the opening credits for 'Have I Got News for You' for anyone wondering) originally showed the stopcock being opened not closed.

An accidental metaphor for the level of understanding of many of those who claim to be able to talk about the energy market.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

It's all a con at the end of the day as you have pointed out. Now chop my head off!! It's the same idea as teaser bank savings rates.

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

If half or more of SSE`s customers switched just after they made the price rise announcement how many other suppliers do you think would rush to join them ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

I recently 'signed up' for Southern Electric's one year fixed price contract, to take effect before their price increase. Initially, I started to do it online, but when it came to the final page I saw that they required me to pay much more monthly for my gas and electricity.

The reason for this, I noted, was it was assumed that my total bill for duel fuel would amount to around £1,368 and they had divided it equally by the 12 months. As we currently use only about £748 worth of energy annually I cancelled the online application and rang them up.

I explained to the guy my reasons for not doing it online, inasmuch as it would mean over one hundred pounds leaving my bank monthly and I would have to ask them several times in the coming year to refund my over-payments. I don't see why my excess money paid in should lie in the company's account rather than mine!

He agreed with that and assured me I could continue my usual monthly payments with no increase for the 12 months, provided of course my energy usage stays roughly the same. On one occasion when my account went in to debit I made credit card payment to cover it.

So it pays to be extra careful when signing up to any contract online. TC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015