We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Changing to energy-saving LED bulbs

simonjary

Likes # 0

I'm currently changing all the halogen downlights and standard lightbulbs in my house to LED to save on the energy bills.

The latest LEDs are pretty good, but cost a fortune – about £20 for a decent bulb. They're better than the older energy-saving compact fluorescent lamp (CFL) bulbs.

They last forever, though, and use about 10% of the energy so should pay for themselves in about 2 years.

Anyone else changed their bulbs for LEDs?

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 1

Might change when they get cheaper, as existing bulbs fail. At the moment we have CFLs throughout.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Tried a LED downlighter a couple of years ago and took it out as the light output was poor.Those now on display in various stores do seem to be much better.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I would try a couple to start with and see what you think of them. I changed mine for CFLs a while back, now changed back most of them to standard bulbs or Halogen and halogen don't seem to last long.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

I've changed all of my halogen downlights for LED's. They do not last for ever though. I've had one fail after a year or so. But they do not fail as often as halogen ones and I have probably saved through not having to replace them as frequently. The light quality is good and I find cool white or white light is better than warm white. They are of course cool compared to the halogen which are very hot. The remainder of our lights are all energy saving but not LED.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Farming Today, early this morning, on BBC R4, was all about renewable energy.

A corn-on-the-cob (when suitable processed) can power a low-energy [LED] light-bulb for up to 6 hours!

click here I use 4 LED lamplight's in various locations in my house ... for bedtime reading and at my computer[s] ... saving money ... in-the-long-run, hopefully. [I incorporate 'plug-in' mechanical and electronic timers, as well, so they switch off when not required].

PS.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"They last forever", difficult thing to prove really, woolwell does not think so neither do I.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

They only last as long as the CLF and only uese a little less power - accordingly to the display bumf at Wilkinsons

for the significant price difference I won't be buying any.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Have no CFL's. Will slowly change to LED's in kitchen (16 downlights) when current ones fail. Lighting is a very small part of my energy bill, and so far I have not seen LED's that are as good as incandescent or halogen ones. The ones I have seen seem to have a bluish light.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 1

When I was running a business, the cost of changing the bulb was greater than the bulb itself. So the change to long life bulbs was a no brainer.

LEDs may be the same deal

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

john bunyan - You can get LED's which are white with no bluish tint. I'll try and have a look at mine which are a good white light and provide the make.

bumpkin - It's not that I think that they don't last forever - I know so as I've had one fail.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers