We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Can someone identify this chocolate bar for me?

theDarkness

Likes # 0

Odd question, but I don't know if I can explain on here the reason for it. Does anyone know what brand this chocolate might be, or if it belongs to any supermarket chains value range? Many help would be appreciated, thanks :) here is the link.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

iscanut2

Well it must be quick acting to move you to post twice in the same minute...

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

fourm member

Shiny foil wrapped chocolate is now only used on premium chocolate bars, even Cadburys now use flow wrap on their mass produced bars.

Domestic cooking chocolate is usually has the description 'choco' or similar as it doesn't qualify to call it chocolate on account of the low cocoa content and no bother is taken over it's appearance including the lack of surface sheen as on a quality bar, or even comes as peanut sized nibs for quick melting.

Quality chocolatier's couverture comes in huge 5KG blocks and is guaranteed to make even the biggest chocolate addicts sick sooner or later... I speak from experience back in the '70s!

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

Thanks for all the replies. Aitchbee-wonka knows everything, he just ain't telling! I do not know the true make, but I can almost guarantee that it will not be a premium product. As Lotvic states,its close to tescos, but I think Fourm Member definitely got it. It matches in pattern exactly (7x8 lines), and judging by the photo, its also quite grainy, and has a slightly odd taste. Not what I would call strong, but I believe I may have eaten a bar of very cheap cooking chocolate! Nice.

The photographer is czech, so it could be an import. I wouldnt be surprised if most value range chocolate from supermarkets were EU mind you,not just the german ones. There does not seem to be any 'do it yourself' chocolate moulds on ebay with the exact same design. Quickbeam-the only chocolate I that still uses silver wrap I can think of is a kit-kat. Premium.. or not? lol

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Quickbeam nice link to Chocolate Trading Co.

Notice the list price for 5 KG except Fair Trading?

FT seems cheaper but you need to do a bit of maths. I suppose they won't supply less than 250K where the ordinary couveture is listed at 5 Kg buttons.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Spot the obvious mistake in my post. 25K not 250K.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Do you have any left so that we could all have a little taster

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks