We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you eligible -Warm Home Discount Scheme?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

This might be of interest to anyone eligible including some of the silver surfer's on this forum. So perhaps well worth a mention?.

The government and the fuel energy supplier's are introducing the 'Warm Home Discount Scheme' this year, which will provide a discount of £135.00 on next years fuel bills. This as nothing to do with the 'Cold Weather Payment' or the 'Winter Fuel Payment', but something entirely different for those eligible.

It is based on a 'first come - first served basis', depending on the amount of applications received, and the funding being provided. Some people might be notified by the DWP, as some letters are in the process of being sent out now and through the next month or so. Other people will need to apply.

Further information, which also gives details and links to your own fuel provider (if listed). If not listed, then check with your own provider, because this scheme depends on them. click here

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Thats not a good explanation what i meant was to qualify for the warm home discount scheme he has to be75 or over and getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (even if you get Savings Credit) under 75 and only getting the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit (you won’t qualify if you also get Savings Credit)

That reads to me he doesnt qualify because he doesnt get pension credit

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

mart7

I am 78yrs young - I advise you to check with your local Citizens Advice Buro reference your dad's allowances ... I am in receipt of both Pension Credit and the Lower Rate of Attendance Allowance!

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Did all this through age uk we were told if dad applied for attendance allowance his pension credit would be affected,but as he doesnt receive pension credit we applied for attendance allowance,the lower rate,but receiving that benefit stops him applying for pension credit was what we were advised

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

mart7, you have been advised wrongly, it means in some cases you get more pension credit click here

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I have just been awarded high rate A.A at £79.15 weekly. I am afraid to tell the benefits agency as I feel they will cut my Pension Credit, which is only £145.40 weekly. I live alone. What do you think?

A: Let your local Pension Centre know. If you live alone and no one has Carers Allowance for looking after you your Pension Credit will also increase from £145.40 weekly to £204.90 weekly. Ask them to fully backdate this amount to when your award of A.A started.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Thanks lotvic i think i may have not listened correctly to the advice they were giving,im my dads carer thus i think they were saying it would affect his pension credit if he was entitled to it,ive just read the documents age uk supplied and because hes also receiving a fair sum of money from a personal pension thats why he cannot claim pension credit Think i got there in the end,thanks lotvic

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Before I finally green tick this, just a reminder to check if you are eligible, because you might be in for a added bonus without knowing it. Your energy supplier or the DWP might not have you in their system?.

Another point that I would like to possibly suggest, is check if your energy supplier as a 'Register' for those with special needs. If they have, then get registered, it might help on the day you might need it most?.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more