We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you eligible -Warm Home Discount Scheme?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

This might be of interest to anyone eligible including some of the silver surfer's on this forum. So perhaps well worth a mention?.

The government and the fuel energy supplier's are introducing the 'Warm Home Discount Scheme' this year, which will provide a discount of £135.00 on next years fuel bills. This as nothing to do with the 'Cold Weather Payment' or the 'Winter Fuel Payment', but something entirely different for those eligible.

It is based on a 'first come - first served basis', depending on the amount of applications received, and the funding being provided. Some people might be notified by the DWP, as some letters are in the process of being sent out now and through the next month or so. Other people will need to apply.

Further information, which also gives details and links to your own fuel provider (if listed). If not listed, then check with your own provider, because this scheme depends on them. click here

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Got a Letter other day to Say I would be Getting it.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

PS that I do not need to do anything as DWP as contacted Power Supplier

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Same here, had letter to say I'll get it and do not need to do anything. Seem to remember when it first came out a few years ago I had to apply and register then, so anyone who has not had it previously will probably have to apply.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I note that with one of these green energy schemes, the householders cost of improvements is spread over a number of years and is added to the monthly energy bill and the outstanding repayments stay with the house should the householder move.

Something to be aware of when purchasing a house. I wouldn't want to pay for improvements through the asking price and then again through the energy bills!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

oresome

There are a number of 'Green Deals' that the government offer via a third party. But like all these 'deals', especially if they are attached to a payment plan, then its best to know, before anyone signing up.

The same applies to a number of these solar power schemes, grants are available, but there might be a sting in the tail.

One other thing to watch for with solar panel installations, is the home or property insurance cover, and whether you are covered for all eventualities. Somewhere in Europe (I forget where just now), two firemen were called to an house blaze, and both got electrocuted (because the solar panels were still generating power, and the installed panel's had no automatic cut off devices). This apparently caused a lot of concern with insurance,and whose responsibility, and I believe the UK insurance industry are now looking into this.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

woodchip - lotvic

It was stated that some people who are eligible 'might' be in the DWP process, because the letters were commencing in September, and are being sent out now. Other people who think or hope that they eligible, are requested to check, and apply now through their energy provider.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

For eligibility you need to be over 75 years old,surely it should have been anyone 65 and over at pensionable age

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

mart7 Have a closer read.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

My supplier EON, give warm home discounts to the under 60's.

I was asked if I wanted to apply for this years £135, 6 weeks ago. Got notification that I had the money credited about 3 weeks ago.

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

Bumpkin i have,my dads 79 he cant have pension credit because he claims attendance allowance

Give it in one hand and take it in another as per usual with this government

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features