We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is it about conkers...

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

that once you pick one up, you see a better one a few inches away, and before you know it, you have a veritable autumnal cornucopia:)

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

What I used to love about conkers, when I was a boy, is the beautiful colour. I used to put oil on them to bring up the shine before I went off to do battle in the playground.

Happy days - fun didn't cost much then.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can't todays children play virtual conkers on a PC rather than engaging in such a hazardous playground activity that many schools have banned it.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Conkers in the US are known as buckeyes and if you click here you can see one edible variety.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

bumpkin click here

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

We used to get our conkers [50 years ago] locally from a 'very special tree' which grew [ and might still be growing ] on the edge of the 'Blubell Woods' right next to - but about 20 ft below the main dual-carriageway which skirts the forest. It was relatively easy to take aim 'n' throw up small [to medium-sized] pieces of branch and other suitably fashioned 'boomerangs' ... (we always retreived the 'best conker dislodgers'), so's to dislodge some of the biggest conkers in view ... some of the lower, overhanging branches of the tree could be shaken by hand! Most of the other conkers which fell [naturally] to the forest floor, weeks later, could easily be found and retreived, as most of them rolled [or were blown by the wind] into the hollows which ran underneath, inside the forest.

As I still live nearby [5 minutes walk], I will check to see if there are any king-sized 'stonker conkers' currenty in view and might even venture down onto the forest-floor [again] which is now almost level with the road half-a-century on :o)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... and I'm a-strugglin' for an appropriate 'conker song' ... [ off-the-top-of-my-head ], Quickbeam?

Very nice conker link, btw, Fruit Bat, managed to notch up over 6000 points ... well pleased ;o]

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 1

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination