We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is it about conkers...

Quickbeam
Resolved

Likes # 0

that once you pick one up, you see a better one a few inches away, and before you know it, you have a veritable autumnal cornucopia:)

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Which ones are best for:

1 Playing conkers with ? -

a) large b) small c) rock hard after soaking in vinegar and heating in oven

2 Eating ?

a) large b) small c) they are poisonous

3 Keeping spiders away ? -

a) large b) small c) none its just a myth spider love conkers and play a different version from humans as pair of them they hang from a conker and swing towards each other until one of their threads break and they fall

:0)

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

When I was working I had the odd occasion to call in at Ashton and The Chequered Skipper click here but unfortunately never when the Annual Conker Championship was being contested. Talking to the landlord I was reliably told that it brought lots of dosh at a generally slack time and was most welcome and generally a good day out.

The village itself is beautiful and was built to house the workers from the Rothschilds country seat.

1]: [click here

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\

2 c

They are poisonous. Not that they are nice to eat raw so that doesn't cause a problem. And roasting, as you would if you thought they were ordinary chestnuts, destroys the toxins.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

This is the first time in 3 years that any conkers around our way have matured passed marble size, is the chestnut tree disease on the wain?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Put them back! How can you expect the school-kids to occupy themselves on teachers strike days.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've been scattering them around for the last 20 years or so and lay claim to most of the chestnut trees near me without an apparent parent tree nearby!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

The horse chestnut has more than one problem.

Bleeding canker has been around a long time but the recent serious problems have been found to be due to the bacterium Pseudomonas syringae pv. aesculi. Canker affects the bark and can cause a tree to fall and/or die.

The leaf miner moth reduces the size of leaves meaning the tree is not as well fed and that produces the poor size conkers. Sun on the leaves is the important thing especially in June and July. Maybe this year's better weather has helped with fruit production.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I'm bonkers for conkers!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

They get rid of spiders or so they say.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

My wife scatters them around the house to try and ward off spiders. I don't think they work as I found one with a huge spider quite happily sitting on it !!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015