We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How bad are the security services?

fourm member

Likes # 0

MI5 chief Andrew Parker told the Royal United Services Institute 'there are several thousand Islamist extremists here who see the British public as a legitimate target' according to Frank Gardner of the BBC.

Information from the government in September shows that, in 2011/12, there were 37 persons charged with terrorism-related offences.

37 out of 'several thousand'.

Does that mean;

1) MI5 and the anti-terrorist branch are doing a rotten job of investigating these people 2) In a time of austerity, fear is a good way to keep your budget intact 3) Parker is contributing to efforts to persuade people that the activities of GCHQ, even if illegal, are justified 4) Something else?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

More of "the few"?

Arrests

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

john bunyan

How many news stories have you seen today of people stopped for speeding? Or shoplifting?

The fact that this is considered worth reporting shows how few arrests there are.

And

'BBC security correspondent Frank Gardner said the decision to make arrests was taken on Sunday by a joint committee of senior officers from MI5 and the Met Police's Counter Terrorism Command.'

'As always, they faced a dilemma over whether to hold off longer to gather more evidence but then risk danger to the public, our correspondent said.'

Quite handy timing for MI5.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

It is early days with these people - maybe nothing will come of it. It is clear that you are unwilling to accept what FE and others say, and believe there is exaggeration from MI5 of the threat. However to compare shoplifting, cannabis speeding etc with terrorism is , in my view, unreasonable. Those offences rarely kill more than a few, whereas a "9/11" style attack is still possible unless the security services remain vigilant. I know that as with the de Menendez case MI5 have made serious errors sometimes, but you seem so convinced of the security services duplicity, and I wonder why - there seems little evidence of abuse to me?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

oresome

"Unfortunately that statement comes from someone within the industry, so must be viewed in the same light as the comments from the speaker that started this thread!"

Actually it comes from the head of MI5, who is on record as saying that cyber crime will become an increasing threat exploited by terrorists, and warned of an increasing threat of global cyber warfare between countries and terror cells, as well as between rival nations.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I wouldn't argue with the term an increasing threat.

But you originally used the word biggest which may or may not be the case.

I did speak in jest and wasn't really suggesting you were over egging the threat for any personal gain by the way.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

More on the above. Some say it was a possible "Kenya Mall" plan.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015