We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lawrence of Helmand (Royal Marine)

john bunyan
Resolved

Likes # 0

This guy shows how the younger generation are just as dedicated to duty as ever:

Capt Davis CGC RM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

THIS is what it means to be a hero, not kicking a ball around and copping off with a third rate pop star!

WTM

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

WTM I agree, what a man, and now he is going to train as a doctor.

There are many gallant people in our Armed Forces but he is outstanding. Yes, I know that he is a Marine did you think anything less?

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The fact that he is a Marine is neither here nor there, unless you happen to be an ex bootneck, as I know there are several on these forums.

My point is a gripe about society in general and the media specifically over using the word 'hero'.

WTM

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Not wishing to devalue this individual's undoubted bravery coupled with his unnerving intellect under very stressful conditions, but a wartime medal for valour [WWII] was awarded to a very special carrier pigeon, called Colonge in 1942 ... featured in this evening's 'Antiques Roadshow' on BBC TV.

The medal is now worth £10,000. [Colonge could only speak native Pigeon English]

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

There are times when I wonder.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I don't think the fact of his being a Marine has got anything to do with him being worthy of his medal. He's obviously one of those rare individuals who possess both great courage and the intelligence to do something with it.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As a former RM myself , I am a bit unhappy that this young man's achievements are impugned by comparison with a pigeon. As we used to say, "Put your brain in gear before engaging your mouth". Usually amusing, I think HB went too far this time.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

jb, my carefully thought out [light-hearted] statement began by not wishing to devalue or take away anything from the award bestowed upon Capt Davis', it was only to highlight the absurdity of the war medal given to a dumb bird. That's all. [no offence was intended]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)