We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Will you be buying into the Royal Mail?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having received the 'Advertisement' Royal Mail Share Offer Application Pack, I am beginning to think that its all getting rather confusing.

The government want to get rid, yet even though some of the postal worker's have been offered free shares, still want it to remain in the public/government sector or domain.

What's your views on that, and how will it effect the other commercial postal services?.

The shares on offer to the public range from a minimum of £750.00 to a maximum of £10.000. Not sure what the commercial institutions have been offered.

So will you be buying into the Royal Mail. If you are, then Tuesday 8 October 2013 is the cut-off date for receiving your application.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'll just continue to buy the stamps... it's simpler.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

When you buy them the shares will probably drop and when they drop far enough you sell them and there are usually loads of folk about waiting for that time to buy at a cheaper price.

As far as I know they are going ahead with the sale whether the Royal mail staff like it or not.

I did read that they were pushing it through while the staff are on strike. Whether true or not I don't know.

long term they may be a good investment short time I would think not, But we will just have to wait and see.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Jock1e - I was perhaps one of those very fortunate people who obtained shares in all the other sell-off the government of that times undertook. I also happened to be a long term Automobile Association member, plus held accounts with a number of building societies. I made money on them all, as a short term shareholder.

This Royal Mail sell-off seems a bit more complicated?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I must admit it looks good with plenty of room for expansion and price rises and should do well.

It is a gamble especially at the moment.Another big crash in the Uk markets could see them drop in price and that is the chance that you take.

It is either buy,make a quick profit and sell or they are overpriced and drop in price, Then it would be a long time investment.

Myself I am expecting twice as much junk mail in if it is sold so I hope it stays the way it is.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If I could afford a stamp -- I'd send a letter to tell Sid.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Yes I will be purchasing and have already completed the application with my broker.

The long term future for Royal Mail is uncertain as letter mail has declined sharply in recent years due to electronic means of communication. The continuing obligation for them to provide a universal service will perhaps allow others to cherry pick the more lucrative areas to offer alternative services at a lower cost.

Parcel post volume has increased due to internet shopping, but home deliveries can be problematic due to householders being at work. Collection from a pick-up point seems to be the way it's going and doesn't need the Royal Mail to do the last mile.

On top of that we have threatened industrial action.

All in all the business faces some significant challenges, but the shares will be priced to go and I expect a quick profit for early sellers. The expected dividend for anyone retaining shares is upwards of 6%. Try getting that from a savings account.

PS I could well have a red face and be nursing a loss in a few days time, but my intended purchase will represent only a small percentage of my total portfolio and may be scaled back further if there is a big demand for the shares. Holding only the shares of one company or only a few privatised companies for example is high risk and not recommended.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Can I buy online?

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

bumpkin click here

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks spuds

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

'Working Lunch' used to be a topnotch BBC TV programme for giving out this sort of money advice:-

click here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...