We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is anyone STILL reading the Mail?

fourm member

Likes # 0

Whenever the Mail gets mentioned here, there are those who say they still read it for a variety of reasons.

So I'm wondering if the latest hypocrisy is enough to change anyone's mind.

Mail distorted my biography of Ralph Miliband.

The Telegraph has even reprinted its 1994 obituary to distance itself from its usual 'right-wing newspapers' partner.

And I never thought I'd agree with Alistair Campbell.

Could this be the beginning of the end for Paul Dacre if not the Mail itself?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"Could this be the beginning of the end for Paul Dacre if not the Mail itself?"

One can but hope.

Surely they have hit rock-bottom with this 'story'?

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Never read the mail but it is a hypocritical and opportunistic paper. Publishing anything that suits its intention without a shred of moral/common decency. This is a paper that supported the blackshirts which it conveniently forgets.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Second highest circulation figures in the UK - probably safe for the time being. Says a lot about the general populace though.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

Mmmm! Are you saying they are wrong to print it? Or wrong about Ralph Milliband?

"One can but hope." They are not forcing themselves on people. I have an opinion on the plainly biased Guardian so I simply do not read it!

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

Sadly, that may be a forlorn hope. The timing is, of course, coincidental but news of Dacre's new contract suggests the owner is happy with his lackey.

ened

I think they were wrong in many ways.

They were wrong about Ralph Miliband because you can dislike a system without 'hating' the place where that system exists. The fact that Ralph Miliband chose to remain in Britain after the war rather suggests that he loved a country that enabled him to put forward views that many found disagreeable.

They were wrong to try and make Ed Miliband his father's son. The aim was clearly to bolster the 'Red Ed' epithet.

Since the initial publication they are very wrong to try and pass off the shameful past of the paper's owner in the 1930s as too long ago to matter whilst picking on something a 17-year old wrote in 1940.

Like this post
ened

Likes # 0

"The fact that Ralph Miliband chose to remain in Britain after the war rather suggests that he loved a country that enabled him to put forward views that many found disagreeable." Does that also apply to Abu Hamza, Anjem Choudary, the 7/7 bombers and all the other immigrants who have taken it upon themselves to abuse our hospitality?

I would suggest they want to change Britain but not because they love it!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

At the end of the day, people choose what they want to read, see and pay for, and not for others to insist that they are very wrong in their selection.

A year or so ago, I had the option of reading quite a number of daily newspapers, if I wished to do. My neighbours and myself use to purchase a newspaper each, then do a community swap-about. This didn't make us prejudice against one particular newsprint, but did make a change for different opinions and reading styles.

If and when the fancy takes me nowadays, and I am near a newspaper stand, I usually purchase a copy of the Sun (advertised as Britain's Most Popular Paper) and 'i' (advertised as The Essential Daily Briefing) an offshoot of The Guardian, which I regard as a good informative read for 20 pence, 30 pence on Saturday.

Even my own once very local newspaper, is I believe now run by the publishers of The Mail, and I would suspect many other supposedly local newspaper's like wise, or some other multi-national?.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

spider 9 'One can but hope.' Why on earth would you want the Mail to come to an end? If you don't read it it's existence is irrelevant to you surely.

A194 'Says a lot about the general populace though.' So the general populace don't support your views on the Mail - how dare they. You, in the minority, must be correct;-)

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

My sister only gets the Mail on a saturday which I personally deliver when I visit her on saturday mornings 'cos she likes the TV section. I usually have a quick gander. My local pub also provides a copy of The Mail and other popular newspapers for customers to read.

PS. I have managed to collect [for free] the last 4 days' classical CD 'give-away', so far, in the Mail, but I might buy it today [only 'cos it's Mozart's Piano Concertos] and as I am not planning to ask 'Bill the Barman' to cut out the voucher for me again ... 'cos he might think I'm a skinflint ... and also 'cos he might want to cut it out for another customer who might also be a Mozart fan!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Aitchbee - by the time the newspaper as been purchased, the cost of the item for handling and postage, it might be cheaper to buy from Amazon for £1.27 delivered, and that might include box sets of more than one cd?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...