We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

We all complain about the rising cost of food,

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

but do you really know what everyday items cost?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Hate to admit this but you wouldn't catch me dead, buying any of the items mentioned, except the vegetables

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

As I do the shopping I got 7/7 (the beer was a guess)

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I don't do the shopping but, got 4 right. Got the bear wrong because I don't drink lager.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Don;t know where the bear came into it! Should read beer.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

But it isn't 'What everyday items cost?' It is 'What figure the ONS uses for its inflation model?'

As various commentators have pointed out, no-one knows the price of a loaf of bread because it varies from shop to shop and time to time.

Asking a politician to name the price of a commodity is lazy journalism and, if it is done on TV, means the time when an important question could have been asked is wasted.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Does one actually shop? Harrods have delivered ours for years so one has absolutely no idea, that's why one has a housekeeper ;o}

Back to reality ;o} I also do the shopping and scored 4/7 like Mr Mistoffelees. I got the bread question wrong, but could tell you the prices of bread flour, because like the PM, me and the breadmaker make our own bread.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"..means the time when an important question could have been asked is wasted."

Surely better to have a bit of fun and hope to make the politician look inept, since any serious question will likely be deflected and a 'stock' answer, to whatever question they WANT to answer would then be produced, anyway.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I do all my own shopping score 4/7.

shopping round can help, one Item I like, locally cost £2 and £1.70 in two different shops, a shop nine miles away sells it for £1 so when passing I buy five at a time when required.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I only got 2/7 and I do all of the weekly shopping but this wasn't about the weekly shop as it included MOT. Also I don't buy many of the items in that way as I too bake the bread.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

'any serious question will likely be deflected and a 'stock' answer, to whatever question they WANT to answer would then be produced, anyway'

That seems to me to be moving along the road to saying that all interviews with politicians are a waste of time.

'better to have a bit of fun'

Is that really how we want political debate to be handled? We know all about the contempt for politicians. How do you address that if you can't tell the difference between an interview with a politician and a comedy panel show?

General comment

It's worth saying that, in the linked quiz, I got the price of beer wrong because I don't drink. As Brumas noted Cameron doesn't buy bread. Why should he know the price?

Of course, as ever, it is damned if you do... If Cameron had reeled off a list of food prices I'm sure someone would have accused him of wasting his time learning trivia rather than dealing with important issues.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

Come together to learn: the secrets of the best design talks, conferences and courses