We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Just another working day - perhaps?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

How would you describe a 'working day' that might apply to you. Would it be 'normal' or 'business' or 'unsociable' or what?.

Take a perhaps typical scene, where a trader runs a 7 day a week operation, very similar to supermarkets etc. They may have on-line facilities for 'next day' or 'working day' deliveries, providing the order is received before a certain cut-off time. Some as late as 10pm Mon-Fri, even Sat/Sun, with possible free delivery at that. So basically, someone, somewhere is providing a service to cover needs?.

The reason why I am curious about this (and that's all), is due to orders that I have placed on the internet at various times, received an email stating the item had been despatched,usually with a courier tracking number, yet on checking later found the item was still waiting in the warehouse, because of some stipulation about 'working days'. The item then seems to be 'fast-tracked' so the customer can receive the item 'in time'. Have you experienced this with internet sales?.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have certainly been caught out,though that is not quite what I mean. Ebay are good at informing you an item has been despatched when it actually has not and this is normally with a business seller as he removes the item from his Ebay stock and Ebay automatically register it and consequently send the email.

As for the email with a courier tracking number again the retailer has arranged delivery with the courier company and again the item is deducted from stock and again an automatic email is sent out.

As an ex courier I have a rough idea of working hours and if I get an email on late Saturday or a Sunday then I know that actually the courier will not pick the item up until Monday which means it is Tuesday delivery.

But I think generally the working day is classed as Monday to Friday even if as you say they may well work 7 days.

I know that if I need to claim a non delivery of an item by Royal Mail I have to wait 15 working days which is and that is Monday to Friday, which is odd seeing as they deliver 6 days a week.

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

Ordered an item by phone on Thursday afternoon. Could have done it on the internet but I had some questions which I wanted answering before I placed the order. I was speaking to a nice lady and had not been in a queue waiting for the phone to be answered. The parcel arrived Friday morning having travelled from the south of England to the north nearly 300 miles.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In the commercial world 'working days' are normally taken to mean normal business hours from Monday to Friday inclusive.

Normal business hours vary from company to company, depending on the type of business being conducted. My neighbour's wife is a corporate lawyer, and she works all kinds of hours, as do I. He husband is in marketing, and he works a strict nine to five-thirty day.

Lots of online sellers use fulfillment houses to pick,pack, and dispatch their internet orders, and those places work long hours. Orders come to them on files that can be auto-loaded into their IT systems and processed and dispatched very rapidly; often within a couple of hours of receipt.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

fulfillment houses

And I thought that meant something completely different.Lol.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

C2, you may find that your oily lycra came via one:-)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Bumpkin, never you mind where my oily Lycra came from.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ok, I will have to find my own supplier then.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ok, I will have to find my own supplier then.

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Did someone mention Oily Lycra? If only [I had known] :o[

click here and who said; " Whit's fur ye ... will no' go bye ye! "

... needs their heid examined!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

" and who said; " Whit's fur ye ... will no' go bye ye!"

I don't know but it wasn't me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features