We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

An incompetent attempt at a scam

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having had quite a few of this type of scam mail attempts, I received one on the 26 August which must take the biscuit for incompetence. It was untitled and read:

*"I am Mrs Aani Fatimah, a Muslim woman I have inheritance of $4.30000 Million for you please email me aanifatiimahamidn@*.eu"*

Can anyone beat this??

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Ignore it you don't need the money:-)) Better to get ones easy to spot. Many years ago before PCs I contacted a Liverpool based "company" regarding investment, I received a typewritten letter explaining the deal written on paper so thin that it had holes in where the zeros and letter o should be, not the sort of thing that inspires confidence.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I think it is a sad reflection on our society that when a poor foreign woman who cannot speak English very well attempts to forward somebody an inheritance she is treated with such suspicion.

Like this post  
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I am trying to sell a car on Southern Trader on the web. I have received a call from Nairobi, Kenya asking for my e mail -do I give it? Also I have received two mobile texts saying they will collect the car tomorrow at the asking price - I just have to visit www.trade-autotrader.com and enter the Purchase ID xxxxxxxxxx.I guess both these want to get bank details? I have not responded.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

john bunyan, that's an old scam, they will overpay you (with a stolen account) - paypal or cheque -and then ask for balance to be refunded so by the time paypal or bank recover full amount of the money back from you, you are out of pocket tune of one car and the amount you refunded via Western Union or similar. ClickHere

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

lotvic

You confirm my suspicions and I have not replied. I did think of reporting the attempts to the police, but I suspect they are uninterested.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Oh so the unfortunate African lady who seems to have had a prolonged period of misfortune is not genuine? So her promise of millions of pounds she was going to give me, to do good works obviously, will not be forthcoming then?

Don't know what I am going to do with all the midge repellent body stockings, much needed by our Scottish neighbours, I have on order.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I did think of reporting the attempts to the police, but I suspect they are uninterested."

It's not a case of them being uninterested, but one of them being inundated with reports of emails like this. There are millions of such messages sent every day, and there's a simple rule to remember when dealing with them - nobody is ever going to contact a total stranger via email and give you a huge sum of money out of the blue.

It's not going to happen, not ever, under any circumstances. Delete such messages on sight.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK