We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What are the spanish up to with Gibraltar?

WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Apparently they are busy making asses of themselves at the border

Daily mail link

Do they seriously think this sort of behaviour will get them back 'the rock'? Or maybe they are just sabre rattling to distract their own populace from domestic problems? And who are they hurting most, the Gibraltans or their own citizens?

And as an aside, I wonder why I've been unable to find this story on the BBC news site.

WTM

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

They have been doing this sort of thing for many years. If they stopped trhat number of people crossing then just think how much money was not spent in Spain because people could not get there. Sheer stupidity if you ask me.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'distract their own populace from domestic problems?'

I think that may be a large part of it but it seems to stem from actions by Gibraltar that will make it harder for Spanish fishermen to fish illegally.

The BBC is reporting on today when the lines formed on the Spanish side for those wanting to enter Gibraltar.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

The story is breaking news on what the BBC jokingly calls it's news channel. William Hague has expressed concern so that means a bit of hand wringing and finger wagging and from the government.

I had not heard that shots had been at jet skier in British waters or our government response to that incidence either.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The border was actually closed for many years in the 1970's if I remember correctly.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

The border was not fully open between 1969 and 1985.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In 1713 Spain formally ceded Gibraltar to the British Crown in perpetuity, since when various Spanish governments have been trying to find ways to get it back.

We've broadly taken the same attitude to Gibraltar as we have to the Falkland islands - we have promised to take no action that affects the sovereignty status of the territory without the consent of the Gibraltarians.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

I went out to Gibraltar attached to The Royal Anglian Regiment on an emergency posting in April 1968 or 69, due to the closing of the border. My recovery wagon out there was an old BSA motorbike that weighed twice as much as me. Only the odd sabre-rattling from the Spanish side then, just to get us out of bed.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It' a bit like:-

It's August - time for the French to have an air traffic control strike.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

It will, probably, be popular with the Spanish tourist businesses close to Gibraltar if people decide they don't want the hassle and spend their holiday Euros in Spain.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Gibraltar is a lovely place. It is fiercely British, has good policing, excellent medical facilities and the Spanish are always attempting to find new ways of smuggling tobacco over to Spain!! I have been twice and should love to afford to live there, but for me it is not achievable.

After the last referendum held a few years ago to allow the populace the option of Gibraltar becoming Spanish, over 95% voted to stay British. Or to put it in the words of our taxi driver, "We are still looking for those who voted against us being British - to hang them!!"

Perhaps the Spanish should be given the option of becoming a British colony. Our history shows we fought enough wars against them to have had the ability to occupy their country. Sorry, I forgot, we do that every summer anyway don't we - using tourists!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

How to watch the Windows 9 launch event: no live video stream so catch our Windows 9 launch live...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK