We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Electric explosions

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I didn't know they happened.

But walking to the park earlier I heard a muffled thud and scattering debris up ahead. When I got there, a section of the path about a metre in diameter and half as deep was smoldering away like a dud shell had landed, with a strong smell of (what turned out to be) burnt insulation and a scorch mark on the wall.

Two neighbors came running out and not sure what the cause was decided it should be a 999 call for a possible gas explosion.

That resulted in the police, fire service and gas board arriving very quickly. It was then passed on the the electricity board people.

All the action happened here this morning.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps similar results when a digger hits underground cables. One almighty and unexpected bang!.

In this case, was it water in the joints or cable?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Water getting into electrical joints underground causes a number of explosions every year.

It can be an old joint that's deteriorated or a fairly new one that was badly made.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A deteriorated old joint I would say judging by the location.

There was a lot of paperwork involved. It looks like the electric people had to sign over the responsibility from the first 3 services.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

It was probably over in a flash.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Happens down here as well

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Just like buses...

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Very Quick.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Must have been quite short :-))

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have 3 phase electricity for a sewage pump. Last year two phases fused about 300 yards away and it took a long time to find it, as neighbours with single phase were not out. The SSE kept deliberately causing shorts in the main and went around literally sniffing drains in the road to locate the fault. Took a long time and blew my pump due to phase failure.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

In London alone there are 100,000 electrical junction boxes under the pavements, and about 36,000km of underground cable.

So far this year there have been 12 significant sub-pavement explosions, either in the boxes or junctions themselves, or explosions caused by a gas leak being ignited by an electrical spark.

UK Power Networks carry out continuous rolling test programme, and they're investing heavily in new testing technology. In the meantime it's reassuring to know that it's actually quite rare for anyone to be injured in these incidents - most of the explosions stay underground.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback