We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

It's a damnable cheek...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Yes Sir, it's a damned cheek!

After all we had to put up with their gloating for decades...

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

Yeh, whinging Aussies.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Here's the original piece from one of Murdoch's Australian rags.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

A splendid lesson in how to write a sour (very sour (extremely sour)) grapes story indeed...

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

A lesson possibly learned by reading 'The Sun' about the French or the Germans or Europe as a whole.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Let's keep the Scots [and Andy Murray's win] outta this Aussie whinge, it's the English they don't like.

[The Scots luv the English, BTW] ;o]

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

On TMS they just said 'hello' to three Brit civilians working with the Aussie army in Afghanistan. I bet they're having fun.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

One of my closest friends is an Englishman who is now an Australian citizen, living in Sydney. He used to live and work in Hong Kong, and visited Australia so many times on business that he decided to live there when he retired, aged about 50.

Talking to him about the Australian attitude to the UK is interesting. On the one hand he shares the view, held by many Australians, that we are a nation of 'glass half empty' people, forever moaning about pretty well everything, and dropping litter at every opportunity. On the other hand, having worked and lived in Australia for quite a few years, he says that Australians are largely uncultured and insular. They boast about being a rapidly developing nation, but their 'tall poppy' prejudice towards anyone who, like my friend, makes large amounts of money is a major drawback.

All in all he paints a picture of a nation that has a lot in common with us, here in the UK. They know that their future lies in trading with Asia, yet there are numerous rants about the way that South-East asian imports are 'forcing' Australian companies out of business.

I love Australia - it's a wonderful country, with glorious scenery and is full of opportunity. The Australians think their nation is the centre of the universe however, and although there are aspects of that mentality which are laudable it doesn't always make them easy dinner table companions, as I've learnt from personal experience.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...