We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PHEW! What a scorcher...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Hasn't anybody else noticed the '75/6 esque summer?

We've waited a long time for such a long hot spell with the fine forecast set to last into September. Booming ice cream sales along the towpath, booming bike sales in Halfords yesterday, booming garden furniture sales, it's quite an economic boost all around for such a simple thing as a real summer.

I went round Derwent & Ladybower reservoirs yesterday on my bike and was surprised at how much the levels had dropped since the Lancaster flew over in May, I don't remember seeing a bomb fall that day. Hosepipe bans, stand pipe queues, kids playing in tin baths, it's daja vu '70s time, get those stacks and flares out of the wardrobe...

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'an economic boost all around'

You could be right.

Since so much is about perception rather than reality, this spell of hot weather might be just what we need to build a positive attitude to life.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Scorchio!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam, aye, it's no good, I shall have to turn the heating off ;o}}

I have actually started wearing shorts and sandals (now there's a sight!!) something I haven't done for yonks and the garden is suffering because it is to debilitating to venture out and work in this heat - we complain when it is cold and we complain when it is too bloomin hot - a very British trait!!

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

I its grand to see the sun shine gives you a real lift, but for me its to hot to go out for long, a bit like when its freezing or raining cant win really ;~)

Butt after the suns gone down, I am out in the garden with a beer and the smell of new mowen grass cant be beaten.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

'the smell of new mowen grass cant be beaten.'

As long as someone else has done the mowing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Brumas

Am I right if I label you a sandals with socks man...?

'the smell of new mowen grass cant be beaten.' And the sound of the skylark can't be beaten.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

"And the sound of the skylark can't be beaten"

Quite right, but spotting the little devil on high can be a challenge.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I took a wander along the beach at Portobello (Edinburgh) and it stuck me that far to many well built ladies were showing far to much than was good for them and for me as it happens.lol.

I almost paddled in the sea but then I remembered that the North sea is rarely more than 1° hotter in the summer than it is in the winter. But dogs and the toddlers in their fluorescent vests seem to find the water fine.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Quickbeam No way!! I know I would never win a prize for sartorial elegance, but socks with sandals !!??

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Pleased to hear that Brumas:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad