We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mis-sold PPI

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I have just had a phone call via my mobile from a guy wanting to let me know that I might be eligible for cash back for mis-sold Payment protection insurance (PPI). This was the second call as I had one from the same company last evening. I hung up on that call but decided to see what I could find out from 'Jamie' this morning.

I asked how had he got my mobile number and why did he think that I might be owed money. He replied that the information on his 'system' came from something called the Government Consumer Database, of which I can find nothing. He also could not tell me why I might be due cash back as until he had my signature he could not act on my behalf. Then any monies they might get back they would then charge 35%.

When I pointed out that surely I could do this myself, he then proceeded to explain that it was far to difficult for 'joe public' to handle, though he was a tad more diplomatic. When I pointed out that I had taken on the DWP and my local health board with some success and all it cost was my time and patience and my ability to keep on going he started to lose the pleasant telephone voice he had been employing to try and get me to agree to his offer.

Now the only PPI I have ever had was for my credit card and when I was diagnosed with cancer and became unemployed this was money well spent as over the coming year the insurance paid off my debt. But I admit I did not tell 'Jamie' this as he was getting pushy.

Now before anybody says he was just doing his job, I think my abrupt response to the call from the same company last night should have been enough to indicate I was not interested.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

The same story but a new day, but it still doesn't stop these people convincing 'joe public' that there are £millions out there to be gained. What annoys me the most is how some of this information is being passed around or sold on, and the supposed Watchdogs say that they can do little about it?.

A few years back, a friend of mine got very fed up with one claims company, and their constant telephone tactics. No matter how many times he told the advisor's to remove him from their lists, the calls still kept coming.

He resolved the issue, by obtaining details of the company CEO, and every time he was 'pestered', he returned the favour by 'pestering' the CEO. Initially the CEO threatened all sorts of legal action, but in the end he relented, his company never bothered my friend again. Perhaps there is a moral in that story?.

One of my latest cold call experiences, was when I began to questioned the female advisor, and I was told that I had wasted her time and I was politely told to FO. Not very lady like or customer care sales pitch?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

There is no 'Government Consumer Database'.

These crooks, for that is what they are, have computers dialling every possible number combination in turn. A valid number will produce a ring tone.

When the computer detects the call being answered it makes it available to the staff. If someone is free they'll begin their pitch.

If no-one is free the call will be dropped and you'll get that silent call followed by hanging up that worries some people, especially if they've heard that burglars ring to see if you're home before breaking in.

Your response won't put an end to these calls. These people don't care about conning vulnerable people out of money - they aren't going to bother that you've said you don't want them to call you.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

There is no 'Government Consumer Database'.

I had realised that but thanks for the confirmation.

As for being 'crooks' that might be a little harsh as they work for this firm. Mis-sold PPI. Chancers perhaps but crooks? Probably not.

But things are quiet in my life at the moment so if they want to call me I am up for a wind up.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There is no 'Government Consumer Database', but I bet the DVLA are not all that far behind (in selling consumer or clients information)?.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

That firm has one 28 year old director Jamie Stefan Kordecki and its trading address is given as Sale Rugby Club Heywood Road Sale Cheshire. Last filed accounts show a negative net worth of £19K

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I should have added - according to DueDil

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

A194, not very impressive for a financial management company. Convincing website though.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Like the story of the woman who received one of these callers about PPI and immediately responded "How dare you, there is nothing wrong with my breasts"...(PIP implants claims)...

Like this post
Jon Storm

Likes # 0

Calling them crooks is completely fair. They stole your phone number, cold-called you, which is illegal, and lied to you.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

They stole your phone number

From where? I have just Googled my own number and it pops up three times, so pretty much public knowledge.

As for lying, I like to call it being economic with the truth. Something I think society has learnt from our politicians.

Cold calling.

There is no law preventing cold calling. However, any contract for goods or services that arises from:

A visit to your home, or

A friend’s home, or

At your place of work

and is for more than £35, then the trader is generally obliged to give the householder a cancellation notice, allowing a 7-day cooling off period. If the trader fails to do this, he commits a criminal offence. If an offence is committed, Trading Standards may be able to take enforcement action (including prosecution).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund