We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Almost 40% of army recruits have reading age of 11

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

says a Commons Defence Select Committee report. It says the minimum entry requirement for new recruits is "entry level 2", which is the equivalent to the standard expected of a seven- or eight-year-old in literacy and numeracy.

All of those who joined the Royal Navy or the RAF in 2012 were above entry level 2.

Something's going badly wrong when, in the 21st century we can't even turn out 17 year old people who can read and add up properly, surely?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Education standards have been going down and down ever since schools chose Trendy Teachers and teaching aids a long time ago. I am sure things will not improve either, certainly not in what's left of my lifetime.

To the demise of the three R's, as we knew it during the war.

Though I guess there is much more to it than I can explain here.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Numeracy - blame it on the use of calculators and the curriculum that does not teach mental arithmetic well.

Literacy - who needs to read when you can Google for an answer and then go back to your Playstation.

Simplistic but near the truth.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I agree with both the above but would add that there was a time when parents read to their children when young and encouraged the reading of books when they were at school age. Now it's a case of the parents being in a 'must have' mentality and work being the way to achieve this; children appear to be more of a statement within this than the future of everything we know.

A sad state for the country really especially when there is no real need for it to happen.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

wiz-king

"who needs to read when you can Google for an answer and then go back to your Playstation."

All the Google answers in the world are no good to you if you can't read.

It's fashionable to blame calculators for numeracy problems in children, but it doesn't make sense - all of us need to count and do simple mathematical calculations if we are to function in society.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

johndrew

"there was a time when parents read to their children when young and encouraged the reading of books when they were at school age."

You've hit at least one nail squarely on the head there.

If parents themselves can barely read they aren't going to be of much use when it comes to helping their children. The problem becomes self-perpetuating, and it seems that for large numbers of children that's the loop they're in. My father, in particular, was a great reader, and he passed the love of it down to me during my childhood. When I went to school I was able to hit the ground running because of the work he had done in my early years.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

My concern would also be that if the recruits are lacking such education to cause that level of reading (in)ability, can we be confident that many of them are sufficiently able to make such an important decision about entering an arena involving possible warfare, with all the implications?

I don't like to think about it as 'cannon-fodder' - but it's hard not to.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

I agree with you. I also wonder how good these recruits are at paying attention if their school career has produced so little learning.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

spider9

I agree with you. I also wonder how good these recruits are at paying attention if their school career has produced so little learning.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Wow, triple agreement from fourm member, my day is complete!!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have been watching the Freeview BBC Parliament programme on both these issues with interest, and personally I am very surprised how it would seem people have only realised some of the issues now being raised.

Ofsted was set-up to find problems within our education systems, and if you look at some of their findings and reports, the writings were already on the wall.

I wonder how many youths think that its now the easy option to join the army, carry a gun as a possible solution of getting out of their own circle of being in the rat race. but then again, I suppose that applied to some of those that fought in the two world wars, when living and educational standards were different?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow