We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How could they fall for it

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I've seen a lot about this ranging from outrage to mirth.

The answer to your question is that this is TV news these days. The mistake was made by an intern (presumably unpaid) and wasn't spotted because what matters is to get the news out first in the competitive world of rolling news and there isn't the money or time to check before broadcast.

This one stands out but these sort of errors make it to air every day.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Being American might have something to do with it.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Yet another example of an 'ID ten T' error. doh!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Al94

"Being American might have something to do with it."

Really, why?

Similar things happen here, and no doubt there are equally prejudiced Americans who say 'Being British might have something to do with it'.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Being too lazy to do their jobs properly is more likely the answer

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Please don't give me grief for posting this BUT, sick though it is, it did make me smile.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Similar things happen here, and no doubt there are equally prejudiced Americans who say 'Being British might have something to do with it'.

That may well be the case howerver in my experience of mixing with large numbers of Americans and other nationalities on holiday - I never cease to be amazed at the inane mind-blowingly stupid questions that are asked and they are invariably always by people from that nation. In fairness the fact is often alluded to by many of their "more normal" fellow countrymen.

Could happen with any country - just going by personal experience - many times.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Al94

"Could happen with any country - just going by personal experience - many times."

This country has its share of people who ask "inane mind-blowingly stupid questions" as well. Your comment was grossly unfair, and offensive to boot.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

The USA scores the lowest in national average IQ among the developed countries of the world, at a national average score of 98. The data is obtained from IQ and Global Equality by Dr. Richard Lynn (professor of Psychology, University of Ulster, Northern Ireland) and Dr. Tatu Vanhanen (University of Tampere, Finland) who have done extensive research on the subject spanning several years. The national average IQ score of Americans at 98 is below 22 countries (including Switzerland, United Kingdom, Germany, Japan, North Korea and China). The low Intelligence Quotient (IQ) score of United States puts the Americans at a lower intelligence level on an average as compared to the other industrialized nations.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Al94

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make by quoting average IQ scores, but in the context of your remarks they are meaningless. In the UK the average IQ score is 100, and as far as some social indicators are concerned (unemployment,divorce,poverty,crime involving a prison sentence,university attendance, and benefit claimants) there is no statistical difference between people with a 98 IQ score and those with 100.

IQ scoring is not a reliable indicator of a person's ability.

"puts the Americans at a lower intelligence level on an average as compared to the other industrialized nations."

No, it doesn't. Australia, Denmark, and Norway all have the same average IQ as America, and Canada comes lower, at 97.

Beware of making generalisations like yours - you leave yourself open to having your argument derailed.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...