We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is it about Northern Ireland?

Flak999

Likes # 0

Orange Order parade causes the usual unrest! I don't know about anybody else, but does this ridiculous sectarian agitation strike you all as ridiculous?

Here we are in the 21st century in a modern (supposedly) civilised country and we have this sort of tribal sectarian nonsense still occurring!

What is it with these people? A bunch of people dressed in orange regalia walk down a street in an attempt to provoke another set of people into violence! Don't they all realise that the rest of the country and the world look upon their tribal nonsense and shake their heads in bewilderment!

I do despair of the human race when religious mumbo jumbo causes normally sane people into acts of wanton violence.

Religion truly, is a curse for mankind to bear!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Flak999 , not only NI but the same the world over.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Have we not seen more like it in England recently? Why do the police allow a march by both sides at the same time? If the police can not cope - use the army .

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

woody , question is, why does religion cause so much violence even today? Are people that thick, or do they choose to be so thick, that they can believe in an etheral whatsisname being? The one thing that will bring blight, violence and hatred?

Seems that believing brings nothing else. If it does bring something else then I have never read about it in the papers or online in todays world.

Believing in a religeon, today, must be the devil's work and he's doing a dammed good job.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Bloody minded foolishness.

Religion is merely the convenient excuse.

WTM

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Don't they all realise that the rest of the country and the world look upon their tribal nonsense and shake their heads in bewilderment"

Not so sure about that statement, because there are still many believer's in traditions, and Northern Ireland or Ulster is no different to anywhere else?.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

WTM I agree - but a religion that allows you to say I have sinned and then tells you that's OK does not help. I wonder how many of the participants on both sides actually go to church.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"What is it with these people?"

These are British people showing pride in their Britishness in their own country.

Their right to do so is being objected to by a group that hates the British Crown and all stands for.

This group is being supported by the authorities.

Is there any other country in the world where this would that would be so stupid as this?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

morddwyd . A pithy comment and true.,

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

morddwyd

How 'stupid'?

What I see is the authorities offering protection from harassment and violence to a group of people who disagree with the government.

That doesn't seem stupid to me. That says 'I don't care what you think of me because I do not allow petty prejudices to colour my attitude'.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It does not say a lot for the supposed God that the serve, Who in there right mind would join them. We Have had this from the beginning of the human race. they preach a god of love and are willing to kill for it

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite