We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Do you feel that those that display adverts, on their Web Pages

wee eddie

Likes # 0

have a moral obligation to check the legitimacy of any claim made in one of those Adverts, and/or, the probity of the Advertising Company?

If so, what do you think the limits of that obligation should be?

Like this post
simonjary

Likes # 0

That really is the business of the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) rather than the media brand and platform hosting the ads.

If every website, newspaper, magazine or TV/radio station had to check every ad it wouldn't have any time or money over for actual content.

Media companies sign up for rules such as IASH, which stop inappropriate or offensive content or advertising.

The ASA investigates complaints on the actual advertising.

PC Advisor, does block many types of advertising independently - Wonga and the ilk, for example, which we find morally wrong.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm glad to find that you hold that opinion regarding 'Wonga and the ilk' SJ.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

It can be difficult, especially for smaller site operators, to keep an eye on the automatically delivered adverts that are the easiest to use.

The problem is worse if the site is about something with multiple meanings. An innocent example would be a website about bits of glass in wooden frames that showed masses of adverts about computer software.

Incidentally, as I found out recently, it is very easy to complain to the ASA if you think an advert breaches its code. Even the 'editorial' on a site that sells things is covered.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"it is very easy to complain to the ASA "

I can confirm that.

I have complained a few times, usually about about car manufacturers (Nissan, Daewoo and Citroen)and in every case they gave been ordered to junk the ad, two of them expensive television ads.

They are much more user friendly than the Financial Ombudsman,l which always seems to act like a trade association, protecting its members except in the most blatant of cases.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

When discussing the effectiveness of the ASA ~ The sad thing is that complaints are made after the event and the Advert has probably run its course before the Complaint is even Registered, let alone acted upon. Also the Fines levied are derisory.

[b]May I add a supplementary question:[/b]

Is your opinion of that Website influenced by the appearance of an Advert that offends you?

I should say that it was the appearance of a totally unsuitable Advert on my Facebook Page that initiated this Thread.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I think that we have to look at all forms of advertising in different ways, and this is were the human factors differ. What's suitable for one individual or advertiser, might bring complaints from another.

Some of the adverts that really wind me up, are those that seem to border on the untruths, yet are still allowed to entice the public in perhaps making a wrong decision, like the increase of gambling advertisements or personal health products.

The ASA do seem to do a remarkable job, on the complaints that they receive on a daily basis. I only wish other 'Watchdogs' would do the same?.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I agree that normal ad campaigns often run their course before the ASA acts. Sometimes, it seems ad agencies persuade clients to make a controversial ad because they know there will be free PR later when the ASA rules against it.

It's different when a website is making a false claim about its products because that will stay there for a long time unless the ASA acts. I'm waiting for the outcome of a complaint about a 'medical device' that is simply an inert box with knobs on and claims to treat all manner of conditions.

With Facebook, I think it is desperate to keep its income up in the face of lawsuits from people who bought shares in last year's IPO and it doesn't have the will to avoid causing offence.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Yes. That's why I don't have any on my website. I have a page of links but they are easier to keep control of.

Like this post
ella33

Likes # 0

I have friends who have a problem with the type of ads that repetitively turn up on their personal You Tube page or Facebook newsfeed. These ads are intended for the client not anybody contacting them but they seem to focus on something... the worst example being one person who has been targetted by non stop ads for funeral payment schemes, with rather descriptive pictures! The recipient has seen the funny side and posted them to friends, to show the unbelievable nature of some ads but it is getting a bit much now. There are various blocking apps but some of these ads are persistant. I know you were discussing the validity of ads but it is the same general area and there is no guarantee of the quality of funeral provided by these rogues either ;)

Like this post
ella33

Likes # 0

wiz-king, I thought that web pages were too expensive to run without ads? Maybe it is possible if you have links

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September