We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Holly leaves gone non-prickly

Ava Gardner

Likes # 0

My holly tree is probably more than 40 years having been found at the property at the time we bought the property. Over the past 5 years I have noticed that the leaves on the tree are not as prickly as before. Is there anything I can do to make the leaves prickly again? Ava

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The prickles are a protective device to stop it being eaten.

That's why you will frequently find the leaves at the top of a big holly are "prickle-less" (and quite soft).

A 40 year old tree does not have to worry about being eaten!

Best solution is to chop it down and start again!

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

"Best solution is to chop it down and start again!" NO NO NO unless you are sure its terminal.

click here good article.

Really

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Better start chewing on a leaf or two!

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If you like the tree let nature take it's course. I have a few probably around the same age, just leave it would be my advice.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I've always found the leaves to be much more prickly when I've used the hedge trimmer. After some of them have been on the ground for a year or more, they are even more prickly.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I [only recently - it was last week] noticed a holy tree growing very near the side entrance of my local pub 'The Queen's Park Cafe' on the southside of Glasgow. I don't usually go near the side entrance/exit but because it was very busy and hot I decided to stand at that exit. Anyway, the ivy tree looked very healthy and prickly ... it seemed to be growing out from the foundations of the pub!

I'll have to back 'n' investigate, tomoro ;o]

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Holy = Holly; I don't know how the ivy tree got into the act?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

poison ivy?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

How come Holly & Ivy made it as girls names, but not Poison Ivy?

I've known plenty in my time that would have suited that name...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED