We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The BBC's Great War...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

documentary of 26 parts made in 1964 to commemorate the 50th anniversary is now available on You Tube in it's entirety.

I discovered this last night as there was nothing else on, and ended up watching upto episode 6.

The documentary now coming up for it's own 50th anniversary, still cuts the mustard with it's deathly un-nerving footage from the front. The BBC film makers put realistic sound effects onto what is obviously silent cinema and that's why it's still worth watching again with the narration by Michael Redgrave. A trick used in it's making was to have the Allies always advancing across the screen from left to right, and the Germans from right to left, even if it meant reversing the film, showing most of the troops as being left handed!

I remember watching this at the time as a young 'un and as such got an idea of the length of the war as it took 6 months to screen the documentary, no iPlayers of the like then.

It'll probably be re-shown on BBC 4 next year.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

A trick used in it's making was to have the Allies always advancing across the screen from left to right, and the Germans from right to left,

...a trick from Hollywood where the 'Goody' cowboy and 'Baddy' cowboy did just the same thing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I never knew that, but with Hollywood, they would have the scene filmed the right way around... I presume.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link - I've watched The World at War several times, but not seen the WW1 one before.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I wonder why we seem to have quite a number of references to the two 'Great Wars' on television or other media channels of late. Is this a reminder of things in the past, that will happen in the future, when nation's continue to clash?.

The only difference in WW1 and WW2 was the amount of deaths, due mainly to hand to hand fighting with the enemy. Now warfare as become more sophisticated?.

Personally I am a supporter of these type of programmes, but no doubt someone will tell me once again, that I must forget and "move on"?.

But coming back to the original documentary, I seem to recall that our local 'The Works' bookstore was selling some dvd's covering this subject in box sets, whether this was part of this series, I wasn't to sure?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I wonder why... etc"

There's a massive centenary coming up next year. Can we really leave that in the past.

Look around, not much has changed.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I seem to recall when there were debates not all that long ago, about demolition of the remaining concentration camps, the Cenotaph and Remembrance Sunday, and what some forum member's views on those subjects were?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'