We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anyone from Rotherham here?

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I was passing through Rotherham yesterday afternoon on the way back from the Peak District and was awestruck by the town councils wild flower meadows on every roundabout, grass reservation and almost everywhere else.

They're about a meter high and an absolute blaze of Monet like multi-coloured impressionistic stippling.

Hats of to Rotherham town council.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Never been to Rotherham, but I agree it is Hats-off to their Council.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I'm not from Rotherham but from your description and the photo it looks like a great idea. It would be nice if some other Councils tried it. I don't know the costs though, that may be an issue.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Must be about 'City in Bloom' competition time, when a number of council's compete with each other, as to who as the very best displays?.

A few years ago, my local council got many business's to sponsor flower displays on all the major round-about's, verges and other major public areas. All looked very nice and proper, but over the past 2/3 years, many of the business's haven't bothered to give or offer sponsorship. Whether this as anything to do with the recession or perhaps council business rates, I wouldn't know?.

On one major round-a-about, some form of metal monument was put up, to this day, some people. like myself, are still trying to fathom out, what that monument is all about?.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I am in South Bucks and for a time they tried the sponsor a roundabout idea which was good to start with. Sponsors could have a small unobtrusive advert saying "sponsored by XXXX" there could be more than one sponsor with their ads in different places. The roundabouts looked great with their flower displays, seems to have been abandoned for whatever reason, money I expect.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It's a great idea but some of the littler flowers are best observed close up. [Poached egg plant for example].

Like this post
mart7

Likes # 0

leeds have been doing this for some years,lots of roundabouts brimming with coloured flowers,they are sponsored by a well known curry restaurant

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

Would anyone want to admit they come from Rotherham? LOL

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I'm not sure everyone is getting what I am assuming Quickbeam was talking about. That is, these are pseudo-wild-flower meadows not the sort of regimented displays of pansies and primulas that most councils seem to go for.

Rotherham is rare in actually creating a wild appearance but other councils are trying to encourage verges to run wild for the benefit of bees and other creatures.

Sadly, there is often some Moaning Minnie who writes to the local paper complaining that this makes the place look untidy or is creating risks for children and domestic animals because some of the plants that grow are potentially harmful.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That's right fm, some of the roundabouts 100 metres across are just a blaze of wild meadow flowers, central reservations upto 10 metres wide and half a mile long are a full coloured carpet a metre deep between the lanes.

It's quite a sight, I'm surprised that there aren't any more pictures of it on the net, If I get time I'll go back and do some myself.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer