We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dew puts sports day on hold.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Came across this story in my paper today.

Story.

What it does not say in the above article but mentions in the newspaper article that Sarah Joiner, a parent governor,said: "My son is in the nursery class and I'm thankful his safety was the prime concern of the staff".

We have had the no playing conkers unless you are fully protected with body armour, face mask,crash helmet and chain mail gloves and now you will need a wet suit, non-slip footwear and suitable padding should you foolishly fall over due to the dew covered glass.

I give up.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Conkers are no longer a problem. For the last two years our diseased conker trees have been dropping their fruit in June/July while only the size of small ball bearings.

The dew problem is probably a reaction to the spate of slide injuries that's been happening at Wimbledon...

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

For the last two years our diseased conker trees have been dropping their fruit in June/July while only the size of small ball bearings.

One hopes that everyone is suitably protected when walking beneath these trees of yours?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I find a jousting helm to be very suited to that purpose:)

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Excellent choice. I see you are a man who takes personal safety very seriously.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Yes absolutely, but they're not too good in the egg and spoon race, they make the eye/egg coordination very difficult with the limited view from the slit, and if you slip on dewy grass with a pointy nosed helm, you can get quite stuck.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

" The dew problem is probably a reaction to the spate of slide injuries that's been happening at Wimbledon... "

Boris Becker, the voice of tennis, quipped [on friday whilst watching Novak Djokovic 'doing-the-splits' [in slow-motion] sliding over the grass:-

" Don't try that at home, kids."

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

Right, I see no alternative but to spend the rest of my days in a lead-lined concrete bunker.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The lead could be a problem with water contamination.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

egg and spoon race

Surely these races are not run these days given the salmonella threat not so long ago.Not forgetting how sharp the egg shell can become should you drop and break the egg.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

There is a PCA member that's more experienced in H&S regs...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'