We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Any education experts out there?

john bunyan

Likes # 0

It is about 58 years since my A levels so I am a little out of date! There has been much recent discussion from Mr Gove on their future, and I wondered why no one seems to mention the International Baccalaureate as an alternative- it seems to work in places like Singapore etc. My 18 years old grand daughter got the results of her IB today ( she has just left a UK school) and got 41 points. I have read that this is either 675 or 635 UKAS points (whatever they are) . I wondered what this is in equivalent A* Levels? I must say that compared with her friends taking A levels she has put in, I would think, 100% more homework and revision, together with an extended essay, theory oh knowledge etc. Was it worth it? She has offers at UCL and Royal Holloway for reading History.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I am 'out of time' [song title?] as well jb as far as modern school / university education is concerned, but I hope your grand-daughter gets a good university placement [in History] that she's happy with.

I've heard [on Radio4] rumours, that in a few years time, it will be a nightmare for young people with differing [but similar qualifications] when writing out and submitting a CV to potential EMPLOYERS because of the myriad of different but similar qualificatins that will be 'swirling about'. It doesn't make it any easier for young people with all this choppin' 'n' changin'.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

john bunyan congratulations to your grand daughter, you most be so very proud of her and her achievements.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

This site seems to be what you're looking for. It gives UKAS points for just about every possible qualification (including riding a horse).

Or, this points calculator might be helpful.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

Thanks for the link.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger