We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Merc rear lights.

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Travelling home tonight I was following a Mercedes estate, '12' plates. Rear lights consisted of the multiple bulbs system. The rear lights were ok but as soon as the break lights came on they dazzled like fog lights. Further on the car braked again and turned right. I only noticed the feeble indicator light was blinking when the car actually turned. Surely new cars have to pass some kind of Ministry tests to prove they are safe for road use and other users? First time I've come across this.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

They will be EU type approved, no doubt about that.

But a lot of cars now have multiple LED lights front and rear that give an accumulation of much more light than the minimum 5w bulb gives out. I agree with your annoyance, it seems to have passed the type approvers notice.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

LED lights? Well I seriously think they can be dangerous. I'm glad it wasn't raining tonight as my vision would have been impaired even more. Before anyone asks, I was well over the two second gap away from it. Think it was something like this. (From Bing search in case I infringe copyright)

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It should all be in here somewhere, but after a brief look, I find I can't be arsed to look for it for you!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Same here Quickbeam . Think I'll buy revolving mirrors for the front of the car, so next time, when I come up to another with these lethal lights, I'll revolve the mirrors so both of us can enjoy these legal LED lights. :-\

Like this post  
Graham*

Likes # 0

Give 'em full beam for as long as needed.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Indicators? You mean those yellow lights you put on when parked (only for a short time - officer) on yellow lines.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The indicators have been an optional extra for some time now. Most choose to not pay the extra expense or prefer to have the heavy window tints instead to decrease unnecessary visibility.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I sometimes have difficulty in seeing the front indicators of cars with LED lights and have to agree with rdave13 and Quickbeam.

They may be more efficient but in certain cars, mainly German, they are dangerous!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

LED vehicle lightclusters aren't exactly new. I recall seeing them on London Busses at least 10 years ago.

You can get LED replacement lamps for most vehicles as a direct swap for the existing bulbs, but they aren't quite the same as the LED panels that are fitted to some cars.

LED replacement bulbs

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

"The indicators have been an optional extra for some time now."

Little point in them with so few users and those that are can't be seen.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...