We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Why a view a minute?

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Seeing that it is rather quiet on the forum again, I thought a contribution as to peoples activities might be in order?.

Placing a question in various sections on the forum seems to bring 3/4 immediate 'views', and throughout the day or week, many more views, but perhaps very little actual input to a thread.

Is it a case of curiosity, boredom, wanting to gain knowledge or other many other reasons?.

In my own case on viewing or contribution can be based on subject matter in the Helproom, Consumer, Speakers Corner or Beginners with the occasional look in at the Tech Business.

Peoples names always brings further interest, because on some occasions you can 'feel' how the thread with turn out, possibly at Speakers Corner more so!.

So what's the answer?.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"Is it a case of curiosity, boredom, wanting to gain knowledge or other many other reasons?." Err, yes...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Oh but what is the main one, or isn't there one?.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

At least you learned one lesson,Not to post in speakers corner unless you know more than the Oracle.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I tend to agree, things do seem to run in fits and starts. I view most of the threads in speakers corner and will reply to those that interest me. In the main I don't do trivia, so that excludes a goodly proportion. As for names garnering more interest than others, I always view FM contributions as there is always the possibility of a good old row, because I always seem to vehemently disagree with virtually everything he says!

Likewise, I always view FE pronouncements, as his put downs are legendary, ( I should know, I have been on the receiving end of a few!)

We do seem to be a small but select little band here on speakers corner, others come and go but there does seem to be the regular dozen or so stalwarts that keep coming back for more. (Are we really all middle aged white men nearing or at retirement?)

I wonder if it's the same on other forums across the internet?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Mainly idle time wasting I fear.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I wonder if it's the same on other forums across the internet?"

That's certainly the tendency. I've been involved in running other forums and they're all pretty much alike. Most forums have a hard core of people who - for whatever reason - have the time to check the posts more regularly than others. Some of them feel the need to respond to virtually every thread that appears, whilst others stick to subjects they know something about, or topics that are of genuine interest, rather than the 'what's your favourite type of biscuit' threads.

In the main, many more people just read; they don't post, being content to see the kind of discussions (and arguments) that take place here. One thing that is sure to attract an audience is a good old-fashioned row - people like to see if their least favourite regular is finally going to get his/her comeuppance.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Speakers corner - view most, comment if it piques my interest.

Helproom - again view most and comment wherever I think I can help

Other forums I occasionly have a look in but rarely comment.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"One thing that is sure to attract is a good old-fashioned row"

When the next one due?.

I wonder if the advertising ratings increase during those peak hours :O)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the wealth of knowledge on this forum is outstanding.

i view each morning with my cup of coffee homepage/tech help/mobile/consumer/speakers/w8.

often browse in the evening too.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I will generally take a peek over breakfast, if there is anything that I find particularly interesting I will follow during the day . If I see something I can give useful input or I am itching for a bit of a barny , then I post away , and hell to the consequences! Lol

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow