We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What is the point of Twitter?

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Can you good folk please explain the point of Twitter. I am becoming more confused as I have been on the site and I am at a loss as to why it is so popular and more importantly why it seems necessary for everyone to have a Twitter address where you can contact them.

News readers, weather presenters ETC ETC all inform me that they have a Twitter address and to please contact them.I'm sorry by why would I want to?

And don't get me started on Facebook.

I have given up trying to understand Facebook with everybody,company and product needing me to 'Like' them and it's constant do you know somebody who also bought a mechanical keyboard from a guy in China and lives in Russia. This ridiculous questioning on whether I should know friends of friends, why would I?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I don't know. What is the point of twitter?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I tend to agree about Twitter. From what I've seen most of what people post on there is absolute Cr*p. Youngsters' posts seem to consist mostly of swear words and even if you can understand all the abbreviations its mostly rubbish. Can't vouch for what more sensible peoples' posts consist of as I really can't be bothered to negotiate all the links that you have to go through.

I get an occasional Email from Twitter suggesting that I might like to follow people I've never heard of -WHY?

The original idea was good but its become an obsession for many people with little obvious benefits.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

...maybe we're just the wrong generation to get it.

It, being the necessity to expect to know the most tedious comings and going of everyones life 24/7.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

With the risks of intrusive and other issues I will have nothing to do with Twitter or Facebook. If you want friends to see a few pictures, eMail is ok. I am sorry, but I think Twitterers are a tad narcissistic - I am uninterested in the daily minutiae of their lives.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I constantly get emails from Google telling me that so and so is waiting to hear from me on Google Plus, when I mention it to them, they say they've had the same suggesting that I want to do the same.

Have I at some point unwittingly allowed Google to make assumed connections between stored address book details between myself and other Gmail users?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have not been able to relate to Twitter yet, my peer group does not conduct their life on it and so it has little to interest me.

However, Facebook is a marvellous way of keeping in touch with ones children, nephews and nieces and those of their friends that one knows well. Particularly now, as they're all breeding like rabbits and the antics of their offspring, although sometimes a trifle ikky, are wonderful and there is no other way that one could keep up as they're now spread all over the world.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"Must be a generation thing"

My kids (and youngest sister) all seem to love Facebook I just can't get interested in it or Twitter.

Perhaps I'm just antisocial :0)

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

wee eddie makes the perfect 'horses for courses' argument. I'm the reverse. I use Twitter but haven't found a good reason to use Facebook.

That doesn't mean I condemn Facebook in the way that many people who've never found a use for either it or Twitter do. It just doesn't suit me.

Personally, I think anyone who watches football is a complete saddo who should find something better to do with their time. I can't think of anything worse than standing with thousands of other idiots watching men in shorts running around.

(Obviously, I don't object to people enjoying football. I'm just trying to show what many people's criticism of Twitter looks like. And I know that you sit at football these days but no-one bothers to be accurate about what Twitter is so why should I with football?)

Twitter is like any other activity; sometimes it is good and sometimes it isn't.

The people I follow on Twitter provide links to scientific reports and news stories about things I'm interested in.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Cuts down the amount of verbal diarrhoea from the people who feel the need to tell the world their thoughts via facebook et al.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Ah, so it's Facebook with data compression then...:)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Alpha vs iPhone 5S comparison review: Metal smartphones fight

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Fonts review

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014