We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fees for debit & credit cards

hssutton

Likes # 0

If the suggested annual charges for debit/credit cards of £11 & £25 per become a reality will you dump any cards. My wife and I have 3 each. At least 4 of these will be cancelled.

Credit card charges

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Credit card would definitely go

Cheques have almost disappeared so some form of card payment is required for al ot of transactions or there will be a run on the bank for all the cash we will need to carry.

Banks give virtually no interest on current accounts where cards are mostly used so another payment on top is a joke.

I already have to pay charges for my business account that are far more than any interest I get back annually.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

The article says;

'Those plans are expected to be published as a firm proposal later this month.'

So, what I'll do is wait and see what happens rather than start worrying about speculation.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Yes I would dump some of mine don't really need several, they just seem to be things that you aquire over the years. Wife and I use the newish Santander 123 card which gives "cashbacks" which are far greater than the £24 annual fee. Worse one I had was Amex who introduced a £20 annual fee for NOT using it, soon got shot of that one (and a refund).

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

There was a time that I had a flush of cards and then I considered the reasons.

I now have just the one and might consider an AmEx as well, if I went travelling.

Many Card Companies are overloaded with large numbers of Cards, who's turnover is very little, which costs them a lot in processing fees.

I think that they would prefer us to have fewer, more active, cards

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

About a year or so back, I reviewed all the credit cards I was using. Even though I always pay within the statement times, so incurring no interest charges. It was all becoming to much of a problem with least returns.

Now I use three, one of those is with a bonus voucher scheme that transfers points into cash, that can be redeemed in places like John Lewis and Waitrose. The other two are with Barclaycard, which I have held since the day when Barclays introduced credit cards, neither of these cards are used very much, and its likely to remain like that, especially if any charges are introduced.

And if any fees are introduced for using my own money via a debit card, then my bank will soon hear about my complaint in very strong terms!,

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What I was also going to add.

Haven't we been through all this before, about charges, fees#, special terms etc, and very little came of it, after people started complaining?.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

As I only have 2 cards it wont bother me Works out at 25p per transaction on my main 'internet shopping' card.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

In my cloud cuckoo land world in which I live, if retailers are not needing to pay the banks a levy, perhaps they'll pass on the savings to their customers! Yeah, right.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I got rid of my Barclaycard and Access (your flexible friend)many years ago when they introduced annual charges and moved to different ones. They subsequently removed the charges. I had one of the original Barclaycards when they first introduced them. I didn't apply for it, they sent it to me, with a credit limit of £100 which seemed like a fortune in the late 60's.

My 'flexible' Access card was snapped in half by an overenthusiastic shopkeeper who was testing its 'flexibility'. He had to sellotape it together so that he could put it in the imprinting machine.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

With so many cards available in a competitive market any company thinking of applying charges without some kind of return would be wise to think again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes