We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Would you go to work

¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

in Jordan. Al Mafaq is about 10 km from the Syria border.

My son a cad draughtsman usually works on projects in the UK and Europe. Drawing plans for large firms such as Mercedes Benz, Amazon, BMW and individual houses. He is fairly keen but his wife is does not want him to go. He has been offered 33% over his usual fee for a 7 day job. Armed guard from the airport, armed security at hotel and armed patrols at the site.

Would you go?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

No, his wife and familly are more important.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Offering just a third more than his normal rate for risking his life is an insult in the first place

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

If he does NOT value his life - does not care about his wife worrying and wants some excitement - go.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

"Would you go"

Most certainly, because I have been in similar situations in my travelling days, usually minus the armed guards. The way I use to look at this was comparing it with the risk of being killed at home in some unfortunate way, but different people have different views, especially if they have extremely strong ties at home. Even member's of the armed forces have strong ties at home, with much less opportunities of increased pay.

The only suggestion I would make, is have sufficient and correct insurance and possibly check the foreign Office website?.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

To be honest, any westerner visiting muslim lands at the moment is literally dicing with death. I am sure you value your sons life above all else, if he were my son I would do all I could to dissuade him.

What is money compared to his life?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Yes, even weighing up the risks, it's an experience not to be missed.

Depends on you personal make up I suppose.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

The Jordainians are very different to most middle east arabs I was there end of last year. I found they are similar to the emeriates states very friendly easy going and seem to have a traditional respect for the british, I would be quiet happy there. cannot say the same for some other nations out there.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

For a 7 day job, it's not really the money you're doing it for, but as some have said the cultural experience.

In the '60s my father, a mining and tunneling engineer, went to Israel for 9 months. Being only 7/8 at the time, I didn't know it was an unsettled country, but I knew he thought it was a great few months.

On the other hand, can't that sort of work be done remotely from anywhere else in the world with a web access?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Hmm, difficult this - normally I would say Go, I spent a really great 18months in Bahrain, the experience was incredible. However, If I was married and my wife said she did not like the idea, then I would not go! Wife and family come first!

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I say definitely go unless of course you do not need the money. It's only seven days and if we all lived our lives that every country near a conflict zone was going to be dangerous how on earth did we manage when the Irish troubles were in full swing?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...