We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Music Hi-jacking

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I started to watch last night's Rolling Stones set at Glastonbury on the iPlayer. Unfortunately after the 3rd or 4th song, Start Me Up, I had to fast forward to the next.

That song is in my mind no longer a Stones song, it's become synonymous with the MS Windows 95 launch as much as The New Seekers Teach The World To Sing is to Coca Cola Corp.

They might as well drop the song from their playlist forever now, they sold out it's complete image to Bill Gates as far as I'm concerned!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Apparently it's not hi-jacking, it's repurposing.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

If Mr Gates [or whovever] decides to 'shut down' MS Windows, then 'THE END' by The Doors would be a fitting epitaph.

"This is the end ... beautiful friend ... the end.

Of our elaborate plans ... the end."

Like this post
Joseph Kerr

Likes # 0

Yup, you should only license your music of it's music for people who never listen to any, like Moby's Play album (I think every song was licensed to advertisers). Otherwise, you should be REM who, I think, never licensed anything to anyone.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

A reliable Microsoft source said that the company paid the Stones $3 million for the licence to use the track for the Windows 95 launch. That is a lot of money, considering the licence was for a relatively short period.

I don't think it means that 'Start me up' is "no longer a Stones song" at all.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My 3 year old grandson's review of the Stones on TV

"There's a skelly bob playing horrific guitar on the telly"

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Once you immediately think of the product on hearing the first few opening chords, then the song is lost to the commercial product!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - I got a bit of fright today when I walked into my local big-name store - 2 'close-ups' of Mick 'n' Keith's mugs on the front page of a newspaper ... I hope I don't have nightmares tonite.

Quickbeam - that's a great link, BTW!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I'm off on a tangent slightly but, the musical editor/compiler [or should that be hi-jacker] of BBC TV's " Homes Under The Hammer " has 'got-away-with-it' ... it's great fun trying to identify the songs that accompany the descriptions of the properties!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more