We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How to get Bluetooth set up in car

exdragon

Likes # 0

Hi - I've successfully paired my phone with Bluetooth in the car, but although the car display says, Phonebook downloading', I can't see how to make a call using someone's name. I get asked, 'By number or by name', but when I choose the latter, the comment is a very polite, 'Pardon?'. It works perfectly when I say the number, which is fine when I can remember it!

The car user guide only explains how to pair the phone, no word about what I'm trying to do.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please? I'm not sure if there's something else I should be doing.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

What make, model and age of car?

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Picanto City,bought new two months ago.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Why not visit the dealer, I'm sure they could help you.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Because people in this forum have a vast amount of knowledge, and no doubt the majority of questions posted here could be resolved by people using google, going back to the retailers etc.

The answer to my question may be quite simple; I don't know, as I've never been able to do this before, so there may be something I'm missing.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's interesting to note that this sort of technology that was once only available on high end cars is filtering down the ranges. I wonder if eventually when it's as normal as air-con and electric windows we'll see a much stricter enforcement on using a hand held phones on the move.

But I've no idea how to set it up exdragon, I'll have to wait until my 230k VW wears out first to upgrade!

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

I think perhaps I'll try removing and re-pairing the phone - that action seems to work for quite a few problems! I may be back here later...

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

As has been said ask your dealer. When I bought my Nissan (2nd hand) they offered to set up my phone for me but as my phone is old and ancient it doesn't have bluetooth.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"my phone is old and ancient it doesn't have bluetooth."

Does it have two big buttons marked A & B instead?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

What sort of phone are you trying to pair? If it's sticking at the downloading phone book it is possible there is a setting in the phone to allow sharing of contacts.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

Al94 - yes, that's what I just wondered as I was sitting in a car park! I've got a Samsung Galaxy Ace and spotted a message scrolling across the top, seemingly asking for access to the phone book. On the other hand, it's picking up the numbers without a problem. I'll have a look in the Samsung manual.

I'm not playing any more this afternoon - tennis and a cuppa are calling! If all else fails, I will indeed ask my friendly Kia man.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good