We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Your favourite comedians either male or female

bumpkin

Likes # 0

I may sound like a miserable old goat but I fail to appreciate some of todays humour based on foul language and sexual inuendos. Have any members got any comments on this.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like most of the [safe] humour 'dished out' by BBC's Radio4. I don't watch TV much ... but Martin & Lucy & the comical incidental music on 'Homes Under The Hammer' always makes me laugh ;o]

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

Tim Allen

Norman Wisdom

Whoopi Goldberg

Dawn French

Jennifer Saunders

Rowan Atkinson

OK most of these are now comedy actor but ... .... and yes David Cameron's and George Osborne's 'black' hair.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Morecambe & Wise good clean fun.

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

Almost forgot the late great Dave Allen ... his comedy timing and delivery were perfect. It's a great pity he had a 'no repeats' clause in most of his TV contracts.

Some people like broccoli others hate it the same goes for comedy.

To some foul language and sexual innuendo are a no go area but to others it's full of belly laughs.

I suspect the 'safest' comedy is situation comedy which I also appreciate.

*A grey goose walks into a bar and says" I'd like a scotch on the rocks please." The bartender looks at the goose funny, but goes to get him his drink anyway. The bartender continues to look at the goose so the goose asks, " Hey, what's your deal? Why do you keep looking at me like that ?"

The bartender says, "Besides the fact that you are a talking goose I actually have a drink named after you ?

The grey goose replies, " You have a drink named Ron ? "*

*Three friends die in a car crash, and they find themselves at the pearly gates.

They are all asked: 'When you are in your casket and friends ? family are mourning, what would you like to hear them say about you?'

The first guy says: 'I would like to hear them say that I was the greatest doctor of my time, and a great family man.'

The second guy says: 'I would like to hear that I was a school teacher who made a huge difference.'

The last guy replies: 'I would like to hear them say... "LOOK .. HE'S MOVING!"'*

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

I think, for the most part, we've moved beyond the notion that simply using a 'rude' word is funny.

But I enjoy language of all forms being used well.

I'll always give an ear to Richard Herring, Tim Minchin, Andy Parsons, Dara O'Briain, Sarah Millican, Stewart Lee and others who use the richness of language to add dimension to their material.

I like wit and intelligence in my humour. A philosopher ordered coffee with no cream. The waiter apologised that they were out of cream. Would he like his coffee with no milk instead?

I rarely get into sitcoms because I find the premises too hard to accept. And I just don't understand catchphrase comedy. Why is saying the same thing on every programme funny?

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

Dave Allen was always my favourite. While I can accept the occasional use of obscene langauge when it's ever other word it's not funny and I turn over

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

dave allan for me, see a lot of comedians at warner holidays and cruise trips and they are all foul mouthed and obsene these days.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

I'd add Tommy Cooper, Spike Milligan and Eric Sykes to the list. I like Eddie Izzard and also Billy Connolly despite his bad language but can't tolerate Roy Chubby Brown.

Descartes went up to a bar. The barman said "Can I get you a pint". Descartes said "I think not" and promptly disappeared.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"todays humour based on sexual inuendos"

Is that new is it? The double entendre has been the mainstay of British humour for centuries!

1. Kenneth Williams
  2. Les Dawson
  3. Max Miller
  4. Marie Lloyd

The list is endless...

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I enjoy most comedians, with the definite exception of Jonathan Ross, Ricky Gervais and Russell Brand - I always turn off whenever these three self-servicing idiots appear.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia