We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Using your free travel bus pass?.

spuds
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps a topic to discuss?

As any forum member who is in possession of a government and local council funded free bus pass, used that pass for travel elsewhere in the UK than their own city/county area?.

If so, or it applies to someone you know, what was the experiences. Did you or they find the experiences confusing or rather enjoyable?.

The thing that springs to my mind is the transport system within and the surrounding areas of say London, with both bus and tube facilities for travel.

Arriva have a good website http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/free-travel-for-older-people , but I don't seem to be able to find the full information that I am seeking, as to the acceptance of free bus passes on some journeys and routes, especially in the capital city?.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't think that the free travel passes work in London if you live elsewhere see Transport for London Tickets

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I may be wrong about above.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I think you only get a 30-50 mile radius that you can travel but like Woolwell I am not sure as I have not used mine yet.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

In Scotland they can be used nationwide, plus some cross border journeys.

I believe thee are also some rail concessions.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The national free bus pass scheme applies to people over the age of 60, and entitles you to travel on any bus in England during off-peak times only.

The London Freedom pass is different. You can only get one if your main place of residence is in London. People born on or after 6 October 1954 will have to wait until they are 66 years old to be eligible for a Freedom Pass.

It entitles you to travel on all London Transport buses and trains at any time, on most local rail services, and on local buses anywhere in England between 9:30am and 11:00pm Monday to Friday, all day at weekends and on public holidays. Up to 4 accompanying children aged under 11 may travel for free with a Freedom Pass holder on all Buses, trams Tube, The Docklands Light Railway, and between stations on the orange routes on National Rail/London Overground services. The pass is funded jointly by the London Boroughs, and by the Mayor of London's office.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

The national free bus pass scheme applies to people over the age of 60, and entitles you to travel on any bus in England during off-peak times only.

You now have to be over the age of 61 to be eligible for a free pass and that age restriction will rise over the next few years. The same dates will apply to winter fuel allowance, if they don't scrap it. Qualifing age for national concessions

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I qualified for [and recieved] my National Entitlement Card about a month ago. ['cos of a degenerative condition of my knee].

Although it says I can travel for free 'Scotland-wide' I am not sure if I could travel [for free on the bus from Glasgow to Aberdeen, for example], as it is outside the Area of Strathclyde Concessionary Travel Scheme.

Strathclyde Concessionary Travel Scheme Map

... and would I be able to travel about locally for free [on the buses] in Oban, I wonder?

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Let's try that map [link], once again.

http://www.spt.co.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/sctsareasm.png

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sorry folks, please click on Strathclyde Region in first link, to reveal the map.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Our bus passes are issued by Devon County Council, but my wife and I have used them all over the country including Durham, Chelmsford, Norwich, Bristol and Oxford. We tend to head for the Park and Ride centres and catch a free bus into the centre of town. So far the only place we have not been able to do this is Dartmouth, the bus was free but the parking was outrageous for a short stay.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback