We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nelson Mandela will Die Soon

fourm member

Likes # 0

There, I said it.

Why is it impossible for the BBC to say that?

I've heard that Mr Mandela is 'approaching the inevitable', 'South Africa is preparing for a world after Mandela' and the like.

My wife was never told her mother was dying. She was sent home from hospital because 'there is nothing she would get in hospital that she can't get at home'.

Are we really so shocked by the word 'death' or is the BBC afraid of the minority who would be horrified to hear the truth spoken?

And why, looking into my crystal ball, will it be 'Breaking News' that disrupts everything when he dies?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's the only sure thing in life.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

...s well as taxes.

My mother went through the same process, with her lungs being infected because she couldn't swallow or cough out the moisture from her lungs. It's a process that won't improve unless Mandela recovers the faculty to swallow. All the dr's can do is give antibiotics to cure the pneumonia each time. But it's a vicious circle and at some stage they'll have to make a decision to with-hold food and water, or give a higher dose of morphine.

The BBC can't preempt the situation and talk about his death at this stage as they don't want to act as if they are God.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

michaelw

Who said anything about 'death'? What the BBC is not saying is that he is 'dying'. I'd settle for 'possibly dying' or 'probably dying'. And there is no reason for them not to say 'after his death' rather than 'a world without Mandela'.

As Quickbeam says death is an inevitable reality so there is no point in cloaking it in euphemism and superstitious mumbo-jumbo.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

What I cannot understand is how the previous earlier time he was rushed into hospital, the 'special army ambulance' transporting him broke down, and apparently it took about 45 minutes to transfer him to another vehicle, even though the original vehicle was in a 'special' convoy, and the distance between his home and the hospital wasn't all that great.

I am speculating here, but did this indicate just how seriously ill he was?.

Like this post
bjh

Likes # 0

... but even when the inevitable happens, he likely won't have "died". He'll have "passed on" or "passed away", "lost the fight for life", and even the quiet "succumbed after a long illness". Then the South African people can be "consoled for the loss" of a great leader, and many will believe he's "in a better place".

Happened when my poor aged Ma died recently. The number of officials who were "sorry for your loss" made me quite determined to ask if they'd found her yet.

My dear old Ma pegged out after a long illness. She popped her clogs last year, and is now pushing up the daisies. She was very old and very ill, and I know she, herself, felt it was time she kicked the bucket. I don't think she thought she was headed for a better place, but anything would have been better for the old dear than the (medical) hole she was in.

Funnily, those euphemisms seem to be frowned upon as flippant, even though they are more homely and friendly to me.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Graveyards are full of people who have "Fallen asleep". I hope they died quickly after burial....

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

Well, that and taxes. If my memory of the quotation is correct. :-)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Another question that might lead to confusion or speculation, will be Nelson Mandela's final resting place. Will it be where some of his family or relatives are buried, and its local custom that he should be buried there as well, as he also wishes?.

Or would it be some place of higher degree chosen by government?.

I think i know where my bet lies!.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Embalmed and on display in the ANC offices? grin His homeland I hope.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

I know this probably won't be a popular view, but I really can't see what the fuss is about. Mandela is a very old man who is approaching the end of his life, he is not in any way unusual in that respect. Old men of his advanced years die! It comes to us all, it is the only certainty there is.

I would expect there to be a certain reverence in South Africa with regard to him as he was the figurehead in the fight against white minority rule. But why there will be the general outpouring of fake grief, spouting of inconsequential platitudes and much wailing and gnashing of teeth from the left (I can hardly wait to here Peter Hain wax lyrical) in this country and the rest of the western world I cannot imagine.

Let us not forget that Mandela and the ANC were considered terrorists by many western governments up until 2008, indeed this anti-apartheid hero was on a US terror watch list and while still on Robben Island, our own late “Iron Lady” Margaret Thatcher described his African National Congress as a “typical terrorist organisation.”

But as we are all well aware one mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter, the world turns and former terrorists now sit in government in many countries (Northern Ireland, Zimbabwe, South Africa and Israel to name but a few) it is the pragmatic way of things.

I suppose we will have to endure days of news flashes, talking heads and all manner of other frankly boring facts being spouted about the old boy, but that's just the way of things these days I guess.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do