We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

How low will they go

Kevscar1

Likes # 0

ATOS are really trying to rub it in. If you go to your doctor and he writes that you are not fit to travel to their offices and request the assesment they are refusing and saying you must attend because you were able to go to your doctors.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Claiming travel expenses.ATOS.

You do seem to be having problems with ATOS, I on the other hand did not, much to my surprise I might add. I filled out the self assessment form and in due course got a phone call from the DWP saying that I was considered unfit to work and would be reassessed in 3 years time. I asked for the decision to be confirmed in writing and this they did not want to do for some obscure reason. When I said that the DWP will usually send a ten page letter if there has been a benefit increase of a penny why were they so reluctant to send me a written confirmation in this important matter.

Anyway I did eventually receive it. In my experience it is always best to get decisions confirmed in writing.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Perhaps you could find out about the building they want you to go to.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-22992152

"They wouldn't see him because he was a fire and health and safety risk."

In a statement Atos said letters warn people that if they would not be able to descend a flight of 30 stairs in an emergency then an alternative assessment should be arranged.

"We let people know about access prior to scheduling appointments to try to ensure no-one goes to a centre that is not appropriate for them," it added.

The Department of Work and Pensions, which owns the building, released a similar statement adding: "If people have mobility problems, which may make evacuation in the event of a fire difficult, a home visit or an appointment at an alternative assessment centre is arranged."

or you could sue them if you suffer pain and distress http://disabilitynewsservice.com/2013/04/atos-pays-out-to-man-left-in-pain-and-distress-by-assessment/

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This www.bbc.co.uk/ouch/messageboards makes an interesting informative read about atos assessment centres totally unsuitable location and facilities.

Like this post
woody

Likes # 0

While I do accept we have to look after the needy - there are too many people abusing the system. When ever I go out and try to us a disabled space I personally see people parking with a blue badge and walk fast or even run to the shops. I estimate nine out of ten do not need a blue badge.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

woody, it's not always the disabled person that is the driver of the car. The blue badge holder might be a passenger. (Their photo is on the other side of the badge so could be checked upon - if you are brave enough to ask)

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car."

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"they are refusing and saying you must attend because you were able to go to your doctors."

Without knowing the full details I have to say that I think they have a point.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

and how do you know that person running to the shops is not going to get their disabled passengers medication

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"how do you know that person running to the shops is not going to get their disabled passengers medication"

You don't. This is what the rules say:

"You should not use the badge to allow non-disabled people to take advantage of the benefits while you sit in the car. Although it is not illegal for a badge holder, or a non-disabled person waiting for the badge holder to return, to remain in the vehicle while the Blue Badge is displayed, consideration should be given to using a car park whenever possible."

It is, however, perfectly OK for a badge-holder to wait in the car whilst a non-disabled person collects something for the badge holder.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

FE it wasn't me but in my case the doctors is in my road 407ft away, June has to drive me because I can barely walk 20yds now wait and bring me back. The bump on the kerb, speed bumps holes and bumps in the road leave me in agony for anything from 4 - 8hrs afterwards. Now if the ATOS office was the same distance away you might have a point but it isn't.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback