We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Royal Naval Traditional Toast, may be changing

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I heard on the radio this morning that the toast traditionally made in R.N. messes is to change. It is/was "Here's to our wives and sweethearts. May they never meet". (followed by hearty guffaws of laughter) I think the suggestion was that in future it should be "Here's to the family"... So it looks to me as if the do-gooders are at it again. The excuse is that women now serve on board ship and so the toast is not appropriate. But as long as I can remember there have been women in the shape of the WRENS in the Royal Navy, so why change now?

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

lotvic

well, they do say it is important to remain young at heart. You seem to have managed that. It seems I can't get myself to be 5 years old so as to find that funny.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

fm, thank you. That's the nicest thing you've said to me for ages.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I believe that some people really think that this practice and the attitudes that led to it, will change at the stroke of some civil servant's pen.

After 18 years service non-commissioned ranks in the British armed forces are awarded the Long Service and Good Conduct medal.

Officers are not awarded such a medal, but anyone who is commissioned after being awarded such a medal is obviously allowed to continue wearing it.

Among the Cranwell elite (Yes, I know they all go to Cranwell now, but RAF types will know what I mean) in Royal Air Force Officers' Messes, in a practice straight from the pages of Sharpe's Rifles, such a medal is known as "The Mark of the Beast"

It will take a lot more than an edict from on high to change such entrenched attitudes.

The modern military mind has to be led or educated, not driven or forced.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I shall sleep much more soundly knowing I'm being protected by military officers who ignore their seniors.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

"military officers who ignore their seniors"

Some say this is why we won the last war - young British officers used initiative, Germans "Obeyed orders" .A bit like Nelson looking through his telescope with his blind eye when sigalled to withdraw from action by Admiral Parker at the battle of Copenhagen.He said he could not see the signal, and pressed the attack.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I shall sleep much more soundly knowing I'm being protected by military officers who ignore their seniors."

And so you should. They have managed to keep us safe from invasion for nearly 1,000 year.

Royal Air Force fighter pilots only began to get the better of the Germans when they ignored official instructions to stay in tight formations, so beloved of pre-war Hendon displays, and started to fly in loose gaggles allowing individual leaders freedom of action.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I think there are far more important traditions that need changing before this. How about send the troops to war/conflict,call it what you will, with kit not fit for purpose.

Far be it for me to praise the yanks but when we did exercises with them and at the all important few beers afterwards to say we were not jealous of their kit would be an understatement. Every bit of kit they carried was up to date and lightweight and fit for purpose which was in stark contrast to ours.

This tradition of sending our troops into battle with rubbish kit was well displayed in Iraq and Afghanistan and was an absolute disgrace.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......