We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smile: Friday is the happiest day of the year, apparently.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Story

What a load of tosh.

Have these scientists not not better things to do with their time?

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

No more than you it would seem...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"What a load of tosh."

Actually, it makes some sense to me. People feel happier when the weather is good,and they can get out of the house. Add in some other positive things - like Wimbledon, for instance - and I can see how a general feeling of well-being can be created.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Didn't we all know that anyway FE?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

As Chris Evans used to say "TFI Friday".

...and I agree.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

Don't call them scientists.

This sort of tosh is what makes people cynical about proper science.

The key line is, of course;

'He came up with the formula after carrying out research for ice cream makers Wall's.'

This is a PR stunt and has absolutely nothing to do with science.

And it matters. There are people who still refuse to get their children vaccinated and still think homeopathy is a good way to 'treat' cancer and a lot of that is because they say scientists don't know what they are talking about.

Arnall's own website makes no claim that he is Dr Arnall and the list of qualifications he gives don't include any that would carry that title.

For people who care about science there is nothing to smile about when this sort of total hairless mole droppings gets published.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Well it makes sense to the FE so it must be good science.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

fourm member

I never thought someone would say this, but welcome back - your postings have been missed by some!!!

I would welcome your input in Flak999's posts on Syria, etc.

As to happy days, although I was pleased for the Queen and the Gold cup win, I was uncomfortable about Ascot - the ridiculous top hats and general air of people with no proper jobs and too much money. I must be getting to be even more of a Victor Meldrew than before.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

More on the guru concerned:Blue Monday - January

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Well it is pay day (pension day) so that makes me feel happier :0)

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I notice the opening paragraph in the linked article "After a bitterly cold spring and months of economic gloom it appears that Britons are finally feeling some summer optimism".

Perhaps the scientist or scientist's who indicated that, might think so, at no doubt great financial public expense to come up with that. But in my neck of the woods, its still gloom and doom with overcast skies and rain showers. And television and other media reports don't seem to help much!.

And as for the big sway to Wimbledon, then I suppose it all depends if you like tennis, Bollinger, strawberries and cream?.

Went to Argos the other week and purchased a couple of hammocks for a leisurely sleep in the garden. So far its been a few attempts of assembly, then back to the box and storage, possibly final use and assembly for later on or next year?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made