We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retro sentence...

Quickbeam

Likes # 0

for Stuart Hall.

Apparently the judge explained that as the crimes were committed in the '60s & '70s, the sentencing must be in line with what was the normal sentence guidelines at the time of the offence (although the review panel is looking to see if they can increase it to the present days sentencing criteria).

So, I was just wondering that if technically, if a person was convicted now of a murder committed prior to the 1965 abolition of the death penalty, could they face a death sentence using the same sentence interpretation?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I don't think Stuart Hall has got a big enough sentence. He should have got that long for just the amount of lies he has been telling. As it is he will be out in about twelve months or less.

It also makes me wonder what would have been the sentence if Jimmy Saville had been tried and found guilty. Probably a couple of years at most. Then retirement in some accommodating foreign country.

I'm the same age as Stuart Hall and have lots of grand-children. I wonder how they must be feeling now. It makes me feel sick to think how mine would re-act.

Hall should have got a sentence which means he will die in Jail and never see the outside of a prison again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

QB, interesting point. I think the Judge hasn't thought that through, as it may set a precedence?

Could lead to all sorts of appeals from some already serving custodial sentences.

Even more interesting if it is applied to every type crime.

I hope the Review Panel get it altered to increase it to present day sentencing criteria.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"So, I was just wondering that if technically, if a person was convicted now of a murder committed prior to the 1965 abolition of the death penalty, could they face a death sentence using the same sentence interpretation?"

I certainly hope not.

I did one or two things for which I could have been birched!

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

"I was just wondering that if technically..."

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

lotvic

I presume that he was already following a precedent. by sentencing in that way.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"So, I was just wondering that if technically, if a person was convicted now of a murder committed prior to the 1965 abolition of the death penalty, could they face a death sentence using the same sentence interpretation?"

No, because there's a difference. The death sentence was abolished by an Act of Parliament - therefore it would now be illegal to execute someone for murder.

In Hall's case, all that has happened is that sentencing tariffs have changed. That doesn't require an Act of Parliament, so it's legal to act retrospectively. That isn't to say that the review board might not find a way to increase the term.

Of course, the way is now clear for Hall's victims to sue for damages if they wish, so the matter may not stop for him with his release from prison.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Thanks FE, that answers my thought.

I wonder if morddwyd can breath easier though...

What could he have done?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I'm just wondering why we are seeing all these well know people being 'found out' for these offences. There must surely also be many thousands of 'ordinary' people who have done similar things, most of who will never be 'found out'. Just the price of fame I suppose, their lives being more open to scrutiny than ordinary people

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

BT

Perhaps in part answer to your question, I wonder how many other celebrities are on the line for investigation, especially those with a reputation for having rather 'wild parties' at the most opportune moment?.

Just think of the cost and work involved in pending investigations, and all the bigger prison's required with the expert medical staff to cope with dementia or old age related illness's?.

With the JS affair, I personally think that some of the people responsible for apparently knowing what was going on, yet were part of the cover-up, should be investigated and dealt with severely. Those people are just as much responsible for all this evil and perhaps causing distress to others who were seeking help and comfort in their times of need?.

I think that I would be more concerned with the people who are apparently missing, who have been placed on a sex register. Yet it would appear that these lists of missing 'sex offenders' are on the increase.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"What could he have done?"

Singing loudly after coming out of a pub at closing time (10.30)was enough in those far off innocent days that were 1950s Wales

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features