We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Doves & Pigeons

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Like many, we have a local population of Wood Pigeons and Eastern Collared Doves.

At this time of the year they are very vocal and their calls are quite similar, but distinctive.

Why is it that I simply hear, but don’t really notice, the Wood Pigeon, but the Eastern Collared Dove grates on my senses so much that I have to close the window, turn the TV up or even, when it’s on the chimney, go outside and chase it away?

The only explanation I can think of is that I was brought up with the Wood Pigeon, but the Dove, being a recent interloper (didn't arrive in the UK until the 50s), is still actually a non-native species to my sub-conscious, and therefore intrudes.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Sir David Attenborough's 'tweet-of-the-day' on Radio4 was beginning to get on my nerves as well. Thankfully, Auntie Beeb has 'saved the day' by using other human voices [as well] to introduce and describe the early morning bird songs.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

This is a very good solution, I've tried it myself with great success.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

QB

You misread my post.

It's the doves I have a problem with, not the pigeons!

I prefer them simply roasted, with a green salad and fresh crusty bread.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

The recipe works just fine with pigeon, dove, quail, grouse, pheasant etc. It all just depends which bird is giving you the most bird at the time:)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'm sure it does, but they really are not very good eating - somewhat bitter and can carry too much fat.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"..when it’s on the chimney, go outside and chase it away"

It's not just me then that can't stand the noise they make. Last year I got a catapult, but my aims not very good. Any tips on what to use for ammo? I've been using paper pellets.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

The monotonous 'triple coo' of the eastern collared dove is notorious for annoying makers of period dramas by appearing on their soundtracks.If you do hear one in a production of 'Pride 'n' Prejudice' or 'David Copperfield' or similar, give yourself a pat-on-the-back for spotting it. [As morddwyd said, they only arrived in Britain in the 1950's].

lotvic ... have you tried poisoned blow-darts? ;o]

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more