We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Past and present aerobatic display teams

Woolwell

Likes # 0

I know that many on this site are fans of aircraft displays. I came across this site aerobaticteams.net. The link should open to a video of 5 fairly old RAF and Navy display teams (you have to let one complete and then the next starts). It includes early Red Arrows but also some spectacular formation take offs and landings.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Sixteen Hunters doing a formation roll has got to be one of the most spectacular examples of precision flying ever seen.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Twenty Two Hunters in the video.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The video is worth persevering with or fast forward as there are some great displays.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Woolwell

"Twenty Two Hunters in the video"

Indeed, but only sixteen did the formation roll.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Over the years I have seen just about every display team in the Northern Hemisphere, and not a few from the Southern, but for me the absolute epitome of the display teams' art was the Patrouille de France flying the Magister (Fouga not Miles!).

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

Flying a helicopter in a straight line can be hard enough but the guys from The Blue Eagles & The Black Cats made it look easy.

OK copters can now loop the loop etc but the actual skill in flying one is, in my opinio,n 30% training and 71% natural talent.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

They don't need to practice then, or to have any experience?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

saw one a few years back in budapest after the aerobatic display the planes then did a mock attack on the city. a fantastic display they were blue military jets i think hungarian airforce if they have one, would never had been allowed over london. best display i have ever seen followed up by the red bull airrace where they even flew under the bridges in budapest.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I went to the last ever Lightning display at RAF Binbrook in '87.

The weather was atrocious and hats off to the RAF that managed to do anything on that dreigh murky dour grey day!

Like this post
siouxah1

Likes # 0

"Flying a helicopter in a straight line can be hard enough but the guys from The Blue Eagles & The Black Cats made it look easy."

Thanks for hat Dragon Heart. Glad you appreciate it. I was No2 in the Blue Eagles in 1969 and 1970. I confirm that I kept my eyes closed all the time. LOL

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK