We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

None so blind as those who cannot see

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

How can you be married for 46 years and not notice something wrong with the way your wife eats meals.

I just noticed after all those years when my wife was cutting up some meat on her plate about a week ago and was struggling a bit.

What are you doing I said.

looked at me as though I was daft and said trying to cut up this bit of meat.

But you have the knife and fork in the wrong hands,That's the way you would do it if you are left handed.

Of course she replied this is the way I have always done it.

So how can you live with someone for that length of time without noticing that something was just a little odd about her eating habits.

She is right handed normally so felt a bit of a fool that I had never noticed before.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Jock1e, dont worry about it, it has taken me 30yrs to find out that my wife does not wear a gas mask.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Mine doesn't wear one either but maybe she should.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Too many beans or is it your feet?

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

Is she ambidextrous Jock1e ?

I'd give my right hand to be ambidextrous

I think you have been experiencing something called, I think, the 'mirror effect'.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Dragon_Heart

Not that I know of but I may have missed that as well.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Dragon_Heart

[ 'mirror effect'.]

Now that sounds reasonable as she usually sits at one end of the table and I sit at the other end.

It is only a small table so not that far apart.

I like that suggestion of a mirror effect as that could possibly be the answer.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Jock1e

My wife is just the same. She's right handed but uses her knife and fork 'lefthanded'. She says she can't use the knife in her right hand even though she's quite happy doing it in the kitchen with kitchen knives.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

When I think about it my son and daughter had never noticed it before and they are in their 40's and none of her family have ever mentioned it so I assume it is something we take for granted and do not find it odd.

It just looked so awkward when she was cutting a bit of meat that drew it to my attention other than that I would never have known.

I will class this as resolved now the mirror effect looks like the best answer so far and any other answers may be a bit complicated as to how one's brain actually works.

Many thanks for all of the comments.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

One should not assume that "one's brain actually works."

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Mr Mistoffelees

It does now and again it is the lapse in the middle that I am worried about.

BT

Nice to see that my wife is not the only one then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes