We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rescue me from the Darkness.

Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Since we changed to these Compact Fluorescent (Energy Saving) light bulbs I feel as though I am living in the dark ages. I have many more table/desk lamps ETC now because the light from the aforementioned bulbs is so poor.

Can anyone advise on a bulb that has a bayonet fitting but that enables me to see the other side of the room when it is switched on.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

remas100, plese explain what you mean and I will try to clarify if I have phrased it badly.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

bumpkin, this Click here will clarify it for you..

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd

When I saw your name as the author of the last post it occurred as apt that Lazarus was giving advice given the thread title.LOL.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

If a 25 or 30 watt energy saver doesn't give you the light you need you really ought to think about 80 watt fluorescents or 120 watt spots.

As many of you know I have serious vision problems but I find 25w give me plenty of light except in the kitchen where I have LED spots.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

I've gone down the route of 'heavy duty' incandescent bulbs off the net - I too was fed up with living in the gloom! Examples from Amazon

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

onthelimit1

Cheers. As I said earlier I do have a couple of bulbs coming today, if they're rubbish I will try your link.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I believe, but I could be wrong, that Heavy Duty GLS lamps are slightly under-run to make them last longer with a consequently lower colour temperature/warmer light than standard GLS lamps.

If you don't like the CF lamps have you thought about the Halogen type which use about 30% less power but give a brighter, whiter light.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I find that daylight bulbs give a clearer/brighter light.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

BT, I have several wall lights that require small candle bulbs. I found the CFs too big and not very good. Went for halogen in the end and found it the best light for me but they don't seem to last very long and are relatively expensive. I would suggest Chronos gives that a try, plenty of nice clear light which suits me but not very economical. Who wants to live in a dark dingy environment for the sake of a few quid.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

One bulb arrived today, rubbish except it is a far in the bedside lamp than the energy saving rubbish. So that's OK? Have another type coming tomorrow, failing that Ebay or Amazon.

I think the ones from the pound shop would last about a day so would be a poor buy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...