We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where does food come from?

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Story on BBC Breakfast this morning

"New research suggests nearly 1 in 5 of primary school pupils say that fish fingers come from Chicken."

...and 29% of children also think that Cheese comes from plants!

I saw a clip from The Apprentice (don't/wouldn't watch the programme) where one of the participants was holding up a bunch of carrots(with green bits) and asked "What are these?" And these are supposedly potential high flying business people. Makes you despair for the future of this country!!

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

FE "By the time they need the knowledge about cheese and carrots these children will have acquired it. The future of the country doesn't depend on people knowing those things when they're in the first decade of their lives."

Do not agree on that one, education is about a broad spectrum of growing knowledge, it's all interrelated. What else would you consider children under ten don't need to know ? sex education, stranger danger, don't drink bleach or shampoo.

For many children I fear it is a lack of parental contact, many go to child minders in their early years so parents hardly get the chance to take their children into the garden to do a bit of digging, weeding or planting.

I recall as a child the fascination of watching broad beans grow in a jam jar lined with blotting paper, they use paper kitchen towel now http://www.npower.com/littlegreenfingers/docs/Journey%203/Pupil%20activity%20sheet%2010.pdf

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

"broad beans grown in a jam jar lined with blotting paper"

..and Mustard and Cress on damp flannel on a saucer

..and carrot/parsnip tops in a saucer of water

..Ginger Beer plant - sugar and powdered ginger in a large jar on the kitchen windowsill. It was actually fermenting, just hate to think what the alcohol content was!!

Boy we had fun when we were kids!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"Boy we had fun when we were kids"

As a 2-7 year old in WW2 in N London, I used to follow , with a young uncle, the milk- and coal-man's horses, collect horse poo in a bucket for my granddad (a WW1 vet) to compost for his garden and allotment. He grew a high proportion of our vegetables and those who remember the "Dig for Victory" campaign certainly knew where food came from . We kept rabbits - ate one every fortnight!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

There was a farm at the bottom of the road where we lived on a Prefab estate on the outskirts of Birmingham. About once a week us kids would go round knocking on doors and scrounging stale bread, and when we had a big bagful we would take it to the farm for the pigs and swap it for a few apples.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

There was a farm at the bottom of the road where we lived on a Prefab estate on the outskirts of Birmingham. About once a week us kids would go round knocking on doors and scrounging stale bread, and when we had a big bagful we would take it to the farm for the pigs and swap it for a few apples.

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

Regarding where vegetables/fruit come from ; resting and stretching after 3 or 4 hours 'spud picking' hammers home the information, as does pea /strawberry picking! We did this as children to earn a few bob and earn it we certainly did!

Growing up and living in Hull we obviously had plenty of fish, indeed we were poor and fish was plentiful and cheap otherwise we would have gone without! We certainly knew where it came from, not so sure about meat because we only had it high days and holidays ;o} Convenience foods didn't figure in our diet and don't ask me where I thought pork sausages came from!!!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

New iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...