We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where does food come from?

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Story on BBC Breakfast this morning

"New research suggests nearly 1 in 5 of primary school pupils say that fish fingers come from Chicken."

...and 29% of children also think that Cheese comes from plants!

I saw a clip from The Apprentice (don't/wouldn't watch the programme) where one of the participants was holding up a bunch of carrots(with green bits) and asked "What are these?" And these are supposedly potential high flying business people. Makes you despair for the future of this country!!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd, with all these genetically modified agriculture experiments going on I can't be 100% sure of anything anymore :(

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"Cheese comes from plants"

yes, but it can - you can buy Soya Cheese in Tescos and other supermarkets.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

** If they were made from chicken they would most likely be called Chicken Fingers,

Nah Mate! They're called chicken nuggets!

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Nah Mate! They're called chicken nuggets!

Chicken Fingers do exist

Birds Eye do actually make 'em

Chicken Fingers

Like this post  
lotvic

Likes # 0

... and you can get Soya Chicken nuggets.

No wonder if the kids are confused, I know I am.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Chicken Fingers do exist

So do Prawn Balls see:

Prawn Balls

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Not to be confused with prawns balls which aren't very filling.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Bombay Duck is a fish, see: Bombay DuckThat should really confuse them.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

'New Research', don't you mean old research that beginning to do the rounds again.

It was noted a few years back when addressing some school pupils, the most used answer was "From a Supermarket", because this was where they saw the product the most, usually stacked on a shelf.

Like this post
Dragon_Heart

Likes # 0

When I saw the report my 1st thought was we should have houses with gardens a little larger than a postage stamp from now on.

Don't these children EVER go into the countryside ? Still even if they did all they would be able to see is field after field of oilseed rape :-(

Give me a person who has been to the uni' of life to work for me not one of these who can pass exams but can't think !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia