We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Where does food come from?

BT
Resolved

Likes # 0

Story on BBC Breakfast this morning

"New research suggests nearly 1 in 5 of primary school pupils say that fish fingers come from Chicken."

...and 29% of children also think that Cheese comes from plants!

I saw a clip from The Apprentice (don't/wouldn't watch the programme) where one of the participants was holding up a bunch of carrots(with green bits) and asked "What are these?" And these are supposedly potential high flying business people. Makes you despair for the future of this country!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Makes you despair for the future of this country!!

Why? The world doesn't work as it did 50 years ago - children who don't know where fish-fingers come from can probably find their way around computers and digital TV recorders almost as well as their parents.

By the time they need the knowledge about cheese and carrots these children will have acquired it. The future of the country doesn't depend on people knowing those things when they're in the first decade of their lives.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

But you would expect a person on the Apprentice would know what a carrot is.

And the word 'FISH' in Fish fingers should perhaps give a clue to their origin. If they were made from chicken they would most likely be called Chicken Fingers,

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

AS didn't get where he is today by not knowing a bunch of carrots when he sees them.

Like this post
fourm member

Likes # 0

One day, an organisation releasing a survey to publicise the launch of its special interest week will say that the survey found everything was just fine.

One day.

But I won't hold my breath.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I blame the 'clever' TV advertisers for our misguided knowledge on the food products we buy and eat ... it starts from an early age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlRH2Af7JY4&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

And these are supposedly potential high flying business people.

Of course they are not, they are selected on purely what the BBC program maker sees as good television for us thick masses.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"AS didn't get where he is today by not knowing a bunch of carrots when he sees them."

At least AS KNOWS what a carrot is. I also recall on one of the rare occasions when I saw a bit of the show, seeing a bunch of young women in a Launderette who thought the Dryers were the washing machines. The expression on the face of the old lady who put them right was priceless.

Chronos the 2nd

You're right there. Pity the people they choose are thick as well. It could be a good show with the right people. Think what you like about AS but he did OK for himself and I really can't see why he associates himself with the show, unless its to show up some of the Dumbos he has to tolerate in real life.

Like this post
michaelw

Likes # 0

"AS didn't get where he is today by not knowing a bunch of carrots when he sees them."

That's because he works with lots of vegetables.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Fish haven't got fingers AFAIK and I'm 90% sure that Chickens don't have any.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I'm 90% sure that Chickens don't have any.

So a ten percent chance that the do? Interesting.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers