We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

care advice banks joint accounts

Terry Brown
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was at a meeting yesterday, where the subject was "Care in the Community", and I had heard about the £72000 cap on care, which I assumed was the maximum you would need to pay if you had to go into a care home, however that sum is apparently only for 'Personal care' and does not include the cost of living in the care home.

I would like to know who thought £72000 was reasonable, I don't.

Point 2--

You have a joint bank account, if one person is 'mentally incapable' by reason of (e.g.) a stroke or accident, the bank has the right to freeze the whole account, so no money is accessible to either partner.

You have to go through the courts to get access to your own money (apparently this started in 2010), so what do you live on in the meantime.

Point 3--

You have a house in joint names, how much of the house do you own each?

Answer-- You both own 100% of the house and the value of the house is used to calculate the costs of care, so where does the partner not in care live when the house if the house has to be sold to pay for care.

Terry

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If that is true, it sounds most unfair. Can you give us some links to DWP pages so that we can check the 'small print' on those points you raise?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Fairly sure that Point 3 is incorrect. The ownership depends on whether you have joint tenancy or tenancy in common. In practice the value of the house is ignored when the care home resident's spouse lives there (not estranged or divorced).

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The DWP advice states "If your customer still owns the property they lived in before moving into the care home, its value will be treated as capital unless: their husband, wife or civil partner, or the person who was their partner when they lived at home, still lives in it a close relative (who has either reached the minimum qualifying age, is disabled or incapable of work) still lives in it, they are trying to sell it."

Therefore point 3 is incorrect.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

One of the solutions for point 2 is to obtain a Lasting Power of Attorney for each partner.

Like this post  
namtas

Likes # 0

Item 3. Having a house in joint name may be a problem.

However a property joint owned and which is habited by a direct members of family cannot be sold to meet costs in the way suggested.

Quote from "ThisisMoney" "The value of your home must be disregarded when assessing your ability to pay for care if your partner is still living there. It does not matter what age they are as long as they are your spouse, your civil partner or you're living together as husband and wife.

The same applies if a relative aged 60 or over or someone who is incapacitated lives in your home."

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Re point3. If you change the tenancy from joint to tenancy in common then I would imagine the lien is limited to the value of the person in the home's share. Not sure if "they" can put a lien (charge) on the house to be recovered when the second owner dies?

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Lotvic

I have done some checking with the Law Society, (update 03 April 2013)and there is a new set of rules to be followed, however to understand them you need to be a solicitor.

Link attached.Running a bank account for person unable to do their own

Attached other links that are more explanatory.

Mental health

British banking requirements

They all say ' Put these in place before the state of mind is reached', but what about an (e.g) Road accident, Stroke or similar, where it is not predictable.

Terry

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

You have to apply to the Court of Protection to obtain a Power of Attorney. A few years ago it was cheaper and easier. Recently a solicitor quoted about £500 each for my wife and I to set up one whilst still OK, He said it may cost well over £1000 if no advanced arrangement was made. Our major accounts and house etc are in joint names with either or one signature, and my bank have told me the account would NOT be frozen if one was incapacitated, and on death they would change it to one name with no fuss. It may be worth a chat with your bank.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

..and on death they would change it to one name with no fuss...

When my father died I went to the various places with my Mother, and the change over from joint to her name was carried out there and then with no fuss. You just need the Death Certificate. Admittedly this was a few years ago but I can't see why things should have changed.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

It's much simpler to keep it all under his n' hers mattresses.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia